Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday Danville Ride Across the Lake

Great APRS Tracking in Danville Illinois
I got no miles on the bike yesterday since it was raining and cold all day long.
Today, however, awoke bright with clear skies though very cool temperature-wise.
I was looking for an excuse to ride the bike somewhere today and decided  I'd find the local bike shop and ride over there to see if they could sell me a new or good/used derailleur gearset.  I set the bike GPS to the shop's address and took off.  It wasn't that far away and the ride was uneventful.  I did notice the street the bike shop is on is also sort of "on the other side of the tracks" if you get my drift.
The bike shop was still open for late saturday afternoon, had a small crowd of  customers, and seemed well stocked with attractive bikes and parts.  I looked around a bit to see if any derailleurs might be on display and couldn't see any.  One of the shop personnel approached me and looked at my broken sample and sounded immediately doubtful.  He kept wanting to know what "brand" of bike it was from and I had to tell him more than once that it was a homemade bike, supposedly with Wal-Mart cheapie  bikes as structural donors.  When he finally went to his parts cabinet to see if he had anything that would work, the first one he pulled looked like the perfect replacement, and the price was right:  A nickel shy of 30 dollars.  Trouble is, the sales guy kept trying to tell me he wasn't sure it would work, that the bent hanger bracket I had with me needed to be repaired or replaced, etc, etc.  I assured him I was capable of using my own vise and tools for the repair but he kept reiterating he wasn't sure I could do it.  I really don't care how sure he is of my possibilities toward successful repair of the bike, but he finally talked me out of it.  I have several at home, all of which should work, and we will be returning home Monday anyway, only 2 days hence.  So I rode back disappointed and he had talked a customer out of a $30 sale.  [Sigh]  Oh Well.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7                         Ending Voltage: 12.7
Ride's Lowest Temperature: 55 degrees F -- Highest Temperature: 59 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:      8.66
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
07.3 Mph                               09.2 mph                   29.8 mph
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
 1 hours  11 mins                    56  mins 43 secs         15 mins 46 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment