Thursday, October 25, 2012

Terrific Trike Tires, What a Treat

Tuesday I installed 3 new tires on the trike:  "Cheapies" from WalMart, at twenty bucks apiece, with claimed Kevlar linings in the outer tire casing.
These tires are somewhat larger than the original tires, so I had to use the drill press to drill extra mounting holes for the fender struts so the tires would clear the fenders without rubbing. 
Yesterday, Wednesday, we took it for a test ride.  Just like with a car, the trike rode noticeably smoother and quieter with the new tires.  Since the tires are slightly larger, I noticed two things:
-I have to be more careful with the hand grips on the front steering:  My knuckles tend to rub the spinning wheel if I wiggle my fingers too much.  Fortunately, this does not result in any harm (so far) or I'd be missing some meat on both hands already.
-Low gear is not as "low" as it used to be.  We get VERY familiar with "Grandma Gear" (lowest possible combination of  rear cassette gears AND front gear rings) when climbing hills, and the larger tires make for less torque when climbing now. 
Oh Well.  Guess we'll just have to get used to it. 
This makes 3 rides in a row wherein none of the tires went flat either during the ride or afterward.  Woo Hoo.
For this test ride we rode up the usual 3.5 mile route to the Triangle snack-stop for a treat.  Unfortunately nothing they had that I was interested in was free from hydrogenated fat... supposedly a major factor in dementia and alzheimers...... what was I talking about?  Oh Well.  I did have some home made chocolate chip cookies in the pannier made with olive oil, which taste better than store bought goodies anyway.  But I was SO in the mood for a fried apple pie.  We'll have to make them ourselves, I guess.  It's getting to where if you want to eat healthy you cannot safely eat ANYTHING you didn't grow or cook yourself.  BAH
Since we took off this time without the benefit of my beloved GPS, radio, and assorted electronics, I have no GPS or other data.  Bummer

No comments:

Post a Comment