Friday, January 4, 2013

A Walk Without the Bike or Trike

The arctic temperatures we've been experiencing lately have not been motivational for exercise purposes.
Thus we haven't been on people-powered wheels since 21 December.  The most exercise I've been doing is running the chainsaw and the tractor, cutting firewood and plowing snow respectively.  These activities provide a good deal of exercise, however, it doesn't seem to be the aerobic kind;  just the tiring aching-muscle kind.
I decided yesterday, even though it was late in the day, to walk the 3 miles over to the Post Office and back.
I wore 2 pairs of socks, a down filled vest, a down filled quilted outer jacket, my ski mittens normally used for riding the bike in the cold, a stocking cap, and a pullover hoodie just in case it might be needed.
It was about 4:00 PM when I left the house and 22 degrees Fahrenheit. (It was 16 when I got back home.)
By the time I'd gotten down the first mile, to the end of our dirt gravel goat path road, where it intersects with the pavement of Frost Road, I had warmed up enough to unzip my outer coat and remove my hoodie.
By the time I had gone 2 miles I was already realizing how out of shape I was.  I started to walk the so called multi user path (Bikes, Strollers, Walkers, etc.) but it was so encrusted with snow and ice I had to walk the shoulder of the main road most of the way.  This is even more disturbing and stressful than riding a bike along the road with cars whizzing by only a few feet away.  When I arrived at the Post Office my legs were notably tired and achey.  I waffled a few minutes sorting out the junk mail and began the return trek home.  This time I walked the north side of  Frost Road on the shoulder which was more exposed to the sun and thus more clear of gunk.

The sun fell behind Sandia Crest as I started home and it got cold, quickly.  I wrapped up in all my available layers and enjoyed the walk back.
Although my legs were tired and hurting by the time I got back, within half an hour I was noticing a marked increase in my sense of well-being, alertness, and just generally felt good.  I need to do something similarly aerobic every day, or at least several times a week.  Exercise makes me feel good, even if it hurts.  Go Figure.
Distance Conquered:  Almost 3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment