Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Terrific Tuesday Trek

I needed a couple items from Davis Hardware so I used that for an excuse to ride the bike up and down hill today.  As usual it was later than desired to start a "ride through the country" but with the clouds and a few sprinkles it was quite nice.  Jacque was away to her Mountain Quilters guild and had left Tinkerbell with me so I saddled up her little perch on the front handlebars on the 2-wheel recumbent and took her with me.  She's an enthusiastic traveler so she willingly submitted to the relatively unusual ride.
My blood glucose was unusually high when I started and stayed high all during the trip, so I was unable to stop for a snack along the way like normal, pedaling along trying to burn off the excess glucose, which didn't succeed until I'd ridden all the way down and back, whereupon my BG finally dropped ..... to 57.  So I got into Jacque's stash of super yummy homemade ice cream and cooled myself off.
I'm very tired of fighting the derailleur and lower gears on this bike.  I need to bite the bullet and replace the cassette and shifter for the rear derailleur.  Trying to shift into lower gears while climbing hills is very unpredictable and frustrating, with lots of chain jumping and involuntary up-shifts into higher gears and loss of forward momentum.  I likely need to clean and re-pack
My ham radio / GPS/APRS tracker failed to work today, which I didn't realize until I'd returned home.  It appears to have a short in the wiring harness which I hope to solve before bedtime tonight.
Beginning Battery Voltage:  12.9        Ending Voltage: 11.7
Lowest Temp  73 F      Highest Temp:  85 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  12.80
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  4.2 MPH                                 7.1 MPH                    31.7 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
3 hours 4 minutes                  1 hour 48 mins           1 hour 17 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment