Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dashing Through No Snow

Tracking Courtesy of GPS. APRS, and Ham Radio
My ham radio friends in Albuquerque who talk to me almost daily on the radio often ask if we have any snow out here on our side of the mountains separating us.  The most current answer is "Only a few spots left, in the shade."  It is only late December, however, and the day after Christmas, and it is still cold.  It was 13 degrees this morning when we got up.  I'm trying to restart an almost-daily riding routine to keep my blood sugar and cholesterol under better control, so cold weather is really no excuse.  When I was still employed before the Great Recession of the 21st Century crippled so many businesses, including mine, I regularly rode in freezing weather, early in the morning, just after sunup, and then rode back to the car in the dark, with associated cold weather gear and layers.  But I had somewhere to go, and had to be there within limited time frames, so the motivation was better then.  Now I can put it off until later in the day and higher temperatures but that means I can too easily put it off until too late, and miss too many days altogether.  I must do better.
Jacque was working today and unavailable for a trike ride but I was determined to get in at least a few miles.  I have ridden the tandem trike a couple times solo and it is an enjoyable machine without a stoker IF the road is not too steep or dusty:  Without the rear seat filled, the rear wheel (the driving wheel) has little traction and will too-easily spin out.  So I rode the two-seater as a one-person machine today.  It only spun out and lost traction a few times as I was climbing hills with fine gravel and salt on the surface, left over from recent snowing and plowing.  There were even a few select tiny spots of frozen mud and snow on the shoulder in shady spots.
I took Jazzy, the new tiny Pappilon pup, with me.  Tinkerbell the senior puppy princess went to work with Jacque.  Jazzy likes to whine, cry, and complain while riding.... unless she is snuggled up on the lap of one of us.  I tucked her skinny bony frame inside my partially zipped jacket and she loved it, as did I.  Until I got a bit warmed up, after which her radiant body heat added to mine made it a bit overheated as we climbed hills.
Didn't get the desired miles in, but did get in a few, which is important of course.  As usual, had I started earlier, I would have had time to get in a good roundabout ride.
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2        Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  44 F      Highest Temp:  55 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  6.04
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.9 MPH                                7.0 MPH                    24.8 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour                                    51 mins  40 secs         9 mins 19 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment