Thursday, September 11, 2014

It Was a Dark and Storm-Free Night

Today's Thorough Tracking via APRS and Ham Radio

I didn't get much done today.  I first started up the new engine in the RV and checked the refrigerant pressure in the air conditioner system.  It checked out fine and blew good cold air.  I also let it idle sitting still for about an hour to see if it would overheat or if the radiator might drip.  All seemed to check OK.  Then I got sidetracked uploading family photos and stories to www.familysearch.org .  I planned to just spend a half hour or so, but as always when  getting into family history, time got away from me.
All this time, Jacque was in Albuquerque at the NM State Fair checking out the quilts on display (her friend Phyllis got a Blue Ribbon for her Navajo Code Talker Quilt).  They also checked out the Indian Village and the Navajo Tacos.  I was jealous to find out they had dipped into the Navajo Tacos without me.  If you've never eaten a Navajo Taco I feel sorry for you..... Google it or get to the State Fair and try one.  I'll pay your money back if you don't like it.
Back to Business.  I'd planned to do a bike ride in the morning, then early afternoon, and then of a sudden Jacque arrived home about 2:30 PM and I still hadn't gone anywhere.  Which turned out to be a good thing.  Jacque is on the South Beach Diet and feeling stuffed and guilty after eating a whole plateful of Navajo Taco and wanting to go for a ride to help burn off carbs and guilt. 
So I loaded up the tandem terratrike on the trailer and we went to town.  We have become quasi addicted to riding the Bosque Trail as the sun goes down and the shadows get cooler and longer.
Tonight was no exception, except that we rode longer and got back to the petro-powered vehicle well after dark this time.  Thankfully we have lights front and back.
Tonight there were quite a few more walkers and riders of all shapes and sizes.  Jacque is convinced passers-by are friendlier in the dusk and the dark.  I think no matter day or night everyone is smitten with our doggies, myself.
It was sunny and bright when we started riding and got really dark on the return leg of the ride.  I was starting to feel a bit off kilter as we neared the end of the ride.  As we pedaled the last half mile I noticed a weird thumping and Jacque noticed my right front tire was almost totally flat.  BAH
After we arrived and got the trike loaded back up I was shocked when I checked my blood glucose and it was 21.  Mercy.  I was surprised I was still conscious, though I have seen it as low as 16 and have never lost consciousness.  I ate my emergency snack and  let Jacque drive.  I was feeling OK but  didn't want to take any chances.

Ride Started: 5:18 PM    Ride Ended:  7:57 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2       Ending Voltage: 12.5
Lowest Temp  67 F      Highest Temp:  84 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  18.02
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.4 MPH                               8.8 MPH                    16.9 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours 49 mins                     2 hours 3 mins           45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment