Saturday, March 26, 2016

Ugly March Riding Weather

Today's WINDY APRS/GPS/Ham Radio Tracking

I'm tired of never getting around to riding the people-powered machines, and even alarmed at the gradually increasing spare tire around my belt line.  Today was a bit cold and breezy but I decided I just had to get out and do a few miles at least.
When I rolled off our mile of rocky goat-path onto Frost Road, and turned east to do my favorite 10-mile loop, I found a stiff cold wind at my back.  This is always a treat for cyclists, EXCEPT for the nagging fact in the back of the brain while pedaling effortlessly:  When you turn around you PAY for the previous tailwind.
And PAY I did indeed.  As soon as I turned left at Mountain Valley Road and the wind was no longer mostly at my back, it was left, right, head on, and gusting in various directions..... leading me to ride like a drunken sailor, all over the road, this way and that, gearing down, trying to stay upright, and getting colder by the second.  I made almost 3-4 more miles with such scattered wanderings and wobblings until I finally had enough.  I pulled over and called Jacque on the cell phone and asked very politely if she wouldn't mind coming to rescue me with the pickup.  She met me 15 minutes later and I gladly threw the rig in the back and rode back to the house with considerably more comfort.
It was great indeed to finally get off my butt and get a bike ride going, in spite of the bitter weather.
Maybe now I'll be more motivated to take advantage of the other 300+ sunny days we normally enjoy in New Mexico.

Ride Started: 4:10 PM    Ride Ended:  5:45 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.4   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.9
Lowest Temp  46 F      Highest Temp:  60 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  7.97
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   2.0 MPH                            6.7 MPH                   29.6 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 45 mins                       1 Hour11 mins           34  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment