Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Birthday Ride DONE. Still Alive

Today's Frog-Strangling Track across Ohio
Well, Monday's ride of 71+ miles proves I don't have to be in "shape" to make such a ride.... but it would certainly help shorten the time and ease the pain.
There are all kinds of rails-to-trails bike and multi-use paths here in Ohio and the closest one that had any length to it was the Little Miami Scenic Trail .  Our closest access point was in Corwin so we drove there to start the ride.  Unlike any New Mexico trails we know of, this one has several small towns that sport very nice accommodations for cyclists, including bathrooms, bike racks for parking, shaded picnic areas, and fresh water.  Corwin is one of such and it was a very nice launching point.
Once we figured out which way was "North" I took off in that direction.
(I notice from the tracking map there is a huge gap in radio coverage from South Charleston to quite a ways north of London)
First off I was impressed with the smoothness of the pavement and the canopy of trees shading the path much of the way.  In spite of the plethora of trees and vegetation everywhere, there were no tree-root upheavals or bumps in the pavement.  The otherwise wonderful Bosque Trail near Albuquerque is full of such traps for the unaware rider.
Corwin was a very tiny burg of ancient origin.  The graveyard is huge and full of 1840's vintage stones.  Northeast of there the roadway opens up occasionally for expansive views of lush farms and multiple waterways.  Thankfully the sun was hidden both by overcast most of the day and the trees.
It was surprising to hear trucks and machines rumbling alongside me in spite of not being able to see them or determine what they were.  Occasionally a gap in the foliage revealed highways on both sides of me, sometimes separated by less than a hundred yards or so.  Every few miles would be a Cyclist's Stop Sign, indicating a road crossing where the motorized public enjoyed the right-of-way, but I never had to wait for any vehicles to pass since there were very few vehicles in the area.
The next town I encountered was Spring Valley, where I passed through unmolested.
Within a few more miles I passed a turnoff with a sign that said "Travel Town".  A hundred or so yards farther I decided I had to check that out, so I turned around and rode into what turned out to be just an entry point into Xenia, with no facilities other than some imposing commercial buildings on a well traveled highway.  Turning around again, I returned to the bikeway and continued onward.  Suddenly an interesting vista opened:  Xenia Station, with old railway offices and train cars and engines arranged into a park display.  An imposing old railway station offered public bathrooms.  Stopping to take advantage, I found all the doors locked except for one that announced "Enter Here", leading to more locked doorways but unlocked doors for the bathrooms.  Very nice.  Perhaps at other times the place is open for tours instead of just bathroom use.
Just past Xenia Station, the "path" stopped at a traffic light with no clear directions or signage about which way to go to stay on the trail.  I crossed at the light, tried going left on the sidewalk, which dead-ended at an empty business.  As I turned around to go back the way I came, I noticed a small ramp in the woods with a small sign about a bikeway.  I took that route, and wound up on the OH-Erie trail which also led to several signs indicating I was on "US 50" with a bike symbol.  Googling that from the smartphone, I found info on the route:  USBR 50
Now that I looked up Xenia Station I see that I missed the turn from there that would have kept me on the Little Miami Trail.  Ah Well.  Story of my life:  Confusing or missing bike path signs.
Along the USBR 50 way, the metropolises of Cedarvale, South Charleston and London also had nice bike facilities but THEN forced me off any dedicated trail and on to city streets to the other end of town.
Thankfully none had any real traffic to deal with.
This route also had several signs designating it as the OH-Erie trail, which sounded intriguing until the trail abruptly ended about 20 miles north of London at Darby Creek Metro Park.  I and another cyclist circled around the park where it ended, signless again.  The park adjoined a high speed highway;  perhaps cyclists are assumed to want to ride up there with the motorized traffic.  Not me;  I turned around.
By now I was getting a bit on the tired side.  Riding recumbent, with feet pedaling in an elevated pattern, results in numbness in the feet.  This numbness was my worst problem, far exceeding the fatigue.  I found that stopping occasionally, removing my shoes, and massaging my feet really helped, in addition to standing up and stepping around to get more circulation down into the footsies.
Still, I was in numbness agony by the time I got back to London where Jacque was waiting to rescue me after 73+ Miles. I had every intention of going no further than 71 miles but I had miscalculated my turnaround point.  I was covered with road gunk and a lot sore but I was still able to walk... barely.
I took several short videos and a couple of Iphone photos, but my internet connection is super weak in this Caesar's Creek campground where we're encamped with the RV.  I'll try to upload some of the video when we get into a better wifi / cell phone reception area.

Ride Started: 8:12 AM    Ride Ended:  7:51 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0
 Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.8
Beginning Blood Glucose:  130      Ending BG: 85 (Kinda spacey at this point) 
Lowest Temp  75 F      Highest Temp: 85 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  73.08 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
6.2 MPH                                 8.2 MPH                     16.4 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
11 hours 46 mins                     8 hours 57 mins        2 hours 49 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment