Friday, December 16, 2011

A Dry Butt is a Wonderful Thing

Friday Morning Warm-Butt Track
Friday Evening Return Track

My recumbent lawn-chair-on-2-wheels seat had only a fairly thick coating of fresh frost this morning (14 degrees) which brushed off nicely with a couple swipes of my mittens, with no imbedded ice to refigerate my hind end as I rode to work.  The difference in comfort level compared to yesterday's frozen-fanny episode was, of course, wonderful.
I neglected to mention last night as I rode out from under the Montgomery bicycle underpass, I again encountered "the screamer".  I mentioned several months ago about this lunatick who got outraged at me as I passed him a bit further south, around sundown, because I had blinking red lights on my bike.  He was somehow offended by this and screamed at me as I went past and continued to scream at me even though I was a long way past him and ignoring him.  I swear he was still screaming audibly half a mile away.
Well, last night he saw me coming toward him as he walked north on the trail and I walked south, and began screaming gibberish at me as I neared him and thankfully only 40 or 50 yards after I passed him,
I'm always tempted to taunt him just as I get close enough to sprint by him and avoid any attempted physical response, but at age 64 I have learned it's seldom worth the risk to get in a slice-and-dice comment.  If he was sane enough to understand such a gibe he likely wouldn't be screaming insanity at me in the first place.  If he understood it enough to REALLY take offense, who knows if he's:
-Faster than I (not hard to imagine)
-Stronger than I (ditto)
-Armed??
(Sigh) Oh Well.  I suppose I'll just continue to allow him to scream insanities so long as he continues to allow me to get past him with only minor injuries to my hearing.
I really enjoyed my ride back to where Jacque was waiting for me in her Exploder tonight.  It was cold enough to require mittens (though no chemical hand warmers were needed, unlike the mornings) but the breeze turned into a mild tail-wind that kept from freezing me and it was just a great ride.  Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment