Wednesday, February 15, 2012

35-Mile Loop Tuesday

I'm not including my tracker link from yesterday since it only worked for maybe 4 miles before it stopped for some reason.  Need to check the radio, antenna, etc.
Anywho, the secret is now out.  The reason I rode to Golden on Monday was to purchase a Turquoise bracelet Jacque had spotted at the Henderson Store, the only surviving commercial enterprise in the tiny ghost town.
Naturally, when I arrived on Monday the place was CLOSED.  Sign in the window says "Open Tuesday - Friday".  So I ate my snack and came home.
Yesterday, Tuesday, was of course Valentine's Day, the reason for trying to purchase the shiny silver and turquoise bracelet for my sweetie.  Since Jacque left in the early morning for her sewing club and planned to be gone until at least noon, I decided I would AGAIN ride up to Golden and hope to catch the store open this time.
They were, and commented they'd seen me ride up the day before.  Grrrrr.  But, then, when I went to pay for the pricey item, all I had with me was plastic, and they only accepted cash or check.  The nice lady told me "I'm not going to have you ride all this way for nothing", so she handed me the boxed beauty and a receipt and told me to send her a check when I got home.  Very nice.  The Henderson Store , open since 1918, now has an eclectic collection of authentic Southwest Indian Jewelry and other items, and is well worth a visit the next time you take the Scenic Turquoise Trail (NM route 14 from Tijeras to Santa Fe), which also goes through the scenic villages of Madrid and Cerrillos.
On my way back south towards home, I decided to turn left on NM 344, which circles around through Cedar Grove and intersects with Frost Road north of Edgewood.  Within a couple miles I encountered the fabled Heartbreak Hill which I've heard other cyclists mention:
I snapped this after the first little rise just at the base of an alarmingly steep climb.  Note the bicycle sign.
The sign should contain the warning "Not for the Elderly nor Faint of Heart!"
It must have been at least a solid mile or more of very steep climbing.  I made it perhaps a third of a mile before I ran out of gear rings, oxygen, and energy.  I had to push the bike the last 2/3 of the climb and it was a HARD slog just walking the bike.  I sincerely doubt I'll ever try riding that direction again.  I might try coming the other direction, but even then the DOWNhill would be harrowing and dangerous:  It surely would wear out a set of brake pads, and the curves are much too sharp to just coast without smoking the brakes.  I saw a logging truck stopped about 1/4 of the way down, taking a break so HIS brakes could cool off, and creeping very slowly past me when he did resume his downhill crawl.
Finally I made it to the top and was able to remount the bike and pedal and coast the other side of "South Mountain".  As I approached Cedar Grove the wind started picking up and got colder.
I'm noting that out in these country roadways, I can hear cars coming some minutes earlier than I can see them.  Cyclists often comment on their "connection" with the area they ride through and it's an interesting sensation.  You just don't get the same feeling cruising through an area inside a car, all sealed up inside the cocoon of steel and plastic.  Another interesting sensation is that of climbing hills.  You see it coming up, and there is the dread of having to horse it up the hill, working your way through the various combinations of front and rear gear rings, hoping to make it to the top without getting to the dreaded "granny gear". As you approach the last part of the climb, you think the last part of the hill will be the worst, but it rarely is.  Usually, instead, you find the hill leveling off as you approach the top, and usually are able to catch a couple or a few higher speed gears before you reach the top.  And finally topping the hill:  Cyclist nirvana, meaning you made it without having to get off and push.  A real thrill when you can do it.
I finally got back down far enough south on 344 to intersect and turn back on to my home stretch of Frost Road  Which seems to have eternal headwinds.   At least this time I  wasn't being blown into oncoming traffic and was able to complete the trip home.  Final Mileage - 35 miles.  Another sensation:   The soreness of stiff legs and sheer exhaustion, followed slowly by the  realization you're going to live for another ride.
Reaction of the sweet wifey to the blinky shiney wrist decoration:  A Very Happy Valentines Day.
Pre-Ride BG:    156                                Post-Ride BG:  136 (with lots of snacks in between)   
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.0                Ending Voltage: 12.3
Start-Ride Temperature:  32 degrees F     Arrival Temperature: 40 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 35.58
Overall average speed                    Moving Avg                       Max Speed
06.9 Mph                                          8.6 mph                             28.4 mph
Total Trip time                               Moving Time                      Stopped Time
5 hours 10 mins                             4 hours 9 mins                        1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment