Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday Wandering Across Town, Or, Look, Dear, I Bought a Tractor

Today's cross town tracking link
Today was one of those with partially fulfilled plans.  I had a doctor's appointment at 8:30 AM and Jacque wanted to do her usual water aerobics, so the plan originally was to take my bike in on her back-rack on the Exploder and I would drop her off at the swimming hole/water aerobics facility, go to my appointment, take the Exploder back to Jacque and then ride my bike back home from there.
First problem encountered:  The receptionist coolly told me she had sent me a voice mail and didn"t I get it? 
When I told her no, she explained my appointment had been cancelled and I needed to re schedule it.  Another doctor in the same clinic had an opening at 11 AM today, 2 1/2 hours later than I'd planned.
So I drove back to Jacque's swimming hole, unsaddled the bike and made ready, and left her a text message that I was riding to the doc's and would ride all the way home from there.  I was running a bit late for such a ride and almost gave up and turned around  but decided to give it my best shot and maybe I could make it with only a few minutes later than my newly scheduled appointment.  Darned if I didn't roll in right on the money.  My blood glucose checked in at 70 (GREAT for me ~) and my blood pressure was 100-something over 80, the nurse claimed it was great.  The new doc thought most of my recent lab readings were good except for my A1c (7.9) and my frequent overrides of my pump's bolus wizard.  He reset a couple of points on my insulin pump and sent me on my way. 
It had warmed up considerably when I got out of the doc office so I bundled up my blue windbreaker jacket and my solid yellow thin windbreaker and strapped the pack on the back of the bike with one of my bungee cords.  When I stopped several miles later I discovered the bungee cord dangling off the back of the pannier, EMPTY.  My 2 jackets fell off somewhere along the way and I never noticed.  BAH
Did I mention I bought a tractor?  Jacque spotted a used RV she was interested in - we're still "discussing" that possibility - but as we were making ready to leave, the owner asked us if we knew anyone who might want to buy a tractor.  Ya gotta realize how terrible our 1 mile of dirt and rock road is..... I jumped at the idea.  A blue Ford 2000 tractor, unknown year, with a 6 foot brush hog on the back, a front end loader bucket on the front, a 2-bladed plow off to the side, and a scraper blade.....  I asked him if he had a trailer with which to haul the tractor and he showed it to me, on the other side of the barn containing the tractor.
He gave us a package price for tractor, implements, and trailer and I jumped.  Didn't even try to get his asking price down.  I should take possession of my new prize tomorrow.  I will familiarize myself with its operation by grading and repairing our terrible road and then I plan to advertise my services for field weed cutting, snow plowing, garden plowing, and yard and road maintenance.  Wish me well.....
Anyway, instead of riding the bike all the 30-something miles home, I called Jacque to come rescue me so I could make an afternoon appointment with a ham friend on time. 
Problem:  Not working full time, very little time to get anything done even so.  Frustrating.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7 Ending Voltage: 12.5

Ride's Lowest Temperature: 41 degrees F Highest Temperature: 59 F
Stats from the GPS:                                  Total Miles: 15.48
Overall average speed        Moving Avg             Max Speed
04.3 Mph                           10.0 mph                   14.6 mph
Total Trip time                    Moving Time          Stopped Time
UNK                                  UNK                      UNK  

No comments:

Post a Comment