Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Short Ride Around Danville

Today's Track via N9UWE aprs near Danville
We haven't found time to ride our people powered machines since Fort Sumner so today I decided I had enough daylight left after getting back to Danville Illinois from Dayton OH to get in at least a few miles on my 2-wheeler.  I was surprised at the number of small hills ups and downs around this supposedly flat area but they were no big deal in spite of my wobbly out of shape gams.
I was surprised to find the lake ( Vermilion ) almost seems to surround this place.  Last year when riding here we rode across the lake and into town so this time I turned left at the bottom of the hill instead to explore that-a-way.  I quickly encountered a park and a boat landing so I rode into the park hoping for a bike trail around the area.  No such luck.  So I rode back out on the road, encountering another interesting side track:  Entry to the Danville Country Club.  That was maybe a half mile in and a half mile coming out, and it was starting to get dark so I turned back toward Mom's house.  I noticed a scritching noise in the rear wheel so I stopped a couple times trying to figure out the noise and cure it.  Thought it was the brake squeaking but that had no effect on it.  Noticed a tiny speck of a pebble on the outer tire tread too small to bother with:  flipping that little booger out with a fingernail cleared the scritchiness.  The fender is obviously too close to the tire or it never would have made any noise.  Bikes, cars, guitars, houses..... you always have to be working on them, something's ALWAYS either out of whack or irritating.
We sorta almost planned to do more cycling with me sagging the RV when Jacque was riding and vice versa but as always we seem to be running short of time.  We have a wedding to get to in Utah.  We'll get there on time, but who knows if we'll be able to sneak in some more committed bike/trike riding along the way.
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 4.94
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.8 MPH                                8.9 MPH                   27.0 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
43 mins                                  33 mins  17 secs        11 minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment