Saturday, May 4, 2013

Trike Fixed, Racking Miles Again

Today's Track Provided by APRS, GPS, and Ham Radio
Well, hopefully the sad sequel of cycling's continuing catastrophes is coming to a happy ending.  As noted recently, we wrecked the rear frame, derailleur, chain, etc., on the trike about a month ago.
Here are some of the stages of redemption and repair.
When I removed the old bent Shimano XT derailleur, I was shocked to find not only a frayed shifter cable but also a frayed cable housing end:
 No wonder this machine has been difficult to shift and get in the desired gear since we purchased it.
 Here's a look at the bent original Shimano XT derailleur:
 Here's the spanking new Shimano XT purchased from Two Wheel Drive :
 I should have taken pictures of me building a new trike chain from THREE new chains purchased from Two Wheel Drive , but didn't.
I think I had about 15 links left from 3 chains after carefully counting.
I worked on straightening the dropout and hanger for the rear wheel on the frame, but when I finished and the quick-release rear axle was installed and tightened, the frame was still a bit out of true.  I also could not get the shifter to access all 9 of the rear gears on the cassette.  Believe me, on this heavy trike with all the weight we haul on it, we use ALL 9 of these AND all 3 of the front chain rings.  ALSO, when I grabbed the rear wheel to reinstall with new chain and derailleur, the TIRE was flat.  BAH.  Another tube down the drain.  Thankfully they don't cost much more than a flat repair.
I decided to bite the bullet and take the machine to Two Wheel Drive and have their experts true things up for me.  They found the front shift lever was trashed, limiting how many gears it would even try to access, the rear cassette was contributing to the problem due to wear, and they installed a fine tuning assembly for the rear derailleur adjustment.
So, for a VERY reasonable total fee for parts and repairs (I don't dare tell how reasonable their rates were, I suspect they're giving us a break), we are BACK ON THE TRAILS and roadways.
Here we are smoking up the Bosque Trail at a blistering 7 to 8 MPH...

We seem terribly out of shape, after only a couple weeks of non-riding.  BAH.  Now we have to ride regularly again to get our legs back...
Oh, Yeah.  I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of the new fangled Lithium-Ion  Phosphate (LiFePO4) rechargeable batteries for $140 or so including shipping from Batteries In a Flash .  My old heavy SLA (Sealed Lead Acid or 'Gel-Cell') batteries were heavy and not holding up like I thought they should on our more-than-2-hour rides.  I haven't tried charging this one yet;  all I've done is use it out of the box with the existing factory charge.... and so far has seemed to hold up well. Twice the battery capacity with less than half the weight.... Too Cool.
Beginning Battery Voltage:  12.5        Ending Voltage: 12.5
Lowest Temp  73 F      Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  9.52
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  3.1 MPH                                 6.5 MPH                    14.2 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
 3 hours 5 mins                      1 hour 28 mins           1 hour 37 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment