Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bike Maintenance Woes

Our Tandem Recumbent Terratrike has been showing signs of wear on the tires.

 This is a close up view of the rear tire.  Astute viewers will note it is bald in the middle of the tread while still having semi-useful tread on the outer edges of the tire.  Meaning:  Overinflation caused this early wear.  I normally top them off at 60-65 PSI when close to the air tank.  When I looked closely at the sidewall for inflation recommendations it read "Inflate to 40 PSI".  These are cheap Wal-Mart tires, about a year old with several hundred miles on them.
We had to visit 3 bike shops in Albuquerque, including 2 separate Wal-Marts, before we could find anyone who had 3 matching 20 X 1.95 street tread tires.  The shop we finally found that had what we needed was Cycle Cave at 5716 Menaul.  I'd never seen this cycle shop before, but it has been around likely longer than most others in the area:  40 + years.  The pricing ($16 each!) was the best we'd seen as well, plus the tires he sold us specify up to 80 PSI, so running them at ~60 should work out OK.
Then, when I got down to swapping out the old tires for new ones, the rear wheel - viewed up close - revealed a nasty surprise:
A Broken Spoke.  No idea how long we've been riding with this nonsupportive spoke.  I've broken many spokes on 26" wheels but this is my first for a 20" wheel.  On the larger wheels a broken spoke produces very recognizable symptoms:  The wheel goes out of true and wobbles noticeably.  We'd never noticed any such symptoms with this wheel in spite of chugging along with lots of load on it for so many miles.  I actually stock new spokes for 26" wheels since I've broken so many, but no such luck for the 20-incher.  The only donor wheel I could find to "borrow" a spoke from was on my lovely but little-used bike trailer, but I decided not to tear one of its wheels apart for a single spoke.  So off to Albuquerque I rushed to pick up a couple.  This time I tried Cycle Cave first and they had exactly what I needed.  At 75 cents a spoke I should have bought a handful but I only purchased 2 and returned home, hoping to get it done before dark.
I had discovered I had a rack that worked nicely for a waist-level workstand for the trike in my metal stash out in the yard.   It worked well for the rear wheel, done first to get the worst one done first:
And the rails were almost perfectly spaced for elevating the two front wheels also:
Alas.  I was feverishly installing the last tire on wheel #3 when Jacque hollered from the front deck:  She had lost all water pressure while taking a shower.  It was getting dangerously close to sundown.  I hated to drop the trike-tire project in mid stream, so to speak, but water failures are definitely higher priority in this country. 
It didn't take long to find a smoked-up, intermittent pressure switch in the pit where the water pressure tank hides underground.  I was able to manually "jiggle" the switch contacts so the pump came to life and re-pressurized the house water lines, but we had to leave for a meeting and leave it also in mid-repair.  Tractor Supply Co. in Edgewood was still open when we left our meeting and, bless their hearts, they had the correct pressure switch in stock for only twenty bucks, a flaming bargain when you're out of water at home.
It was about 8 PM when we finally got back home and we decided to wait for daylight to restore (1) the house water system and (2) the remaining trike tire.  Maybe we'll even get in a ride tomorrow on these sweet new tires!
Manana, Manana......

No comments:

Post a Comment