Saturday, February 15, 2014

Lovely Warm Spring Day - In FEBRUARY

Today's New Tracking

I got busy earlier than usual today and (1) replaced a fog lamp on the RV and (2) repaired our master bathroom toilet, which has had a noisy slow leaky float valve for quite a while.
Jacque was feeling better but decided to not exert herself yet, to try to build up her strength before resuming her normally very active schedule.  So I again saddled up the 2-wheel recumbent and went for a ride. 
I had earlier in the morning driven all over the East Mountains getting hardware for the RV and the house for necessary repairs.  The warm weather had brought out all the motorcyle and bicycle riders and walkers in droves, they were EVERYWHERE.  I was right anxious to join them.
I get tired of doing the exact same ride every day so I cogitated a bit about which route to ride today.  I decided to first ride east on Frost Road to Vallecitos, then over to Old Route 66, thence west to Zuzax.  Then I'd cross over I-40 and get on the frontage road and catch Gutierrez Canyon Road back North to Frost Road and then east again back to our goat-path 1-mile road to the house.
It was just absolutely a marvelous day for a good ride.  I met all kinds of other cyclists and walkers along the way, and never got on a bike path.  Just a mile east on Frost Road I encountered a little boy riding a tiny bike coming toward me on the opposite side of the road, followed by his Mom pushing twins in a dual carriage while riding a skateboard, followed by a walking Dad-figure.  We exchanged happy waves and greetings.   Then, about 30 minutes later, on Old Route 66 I saw an apparition coming toward me.  It turned out to be a couple on a Tandem Upright Bike, pulling a kiddie trailer with 2 kids happily riding along.  What fun.  Many others were encountered but these were my favorites.
I failed to get any pictures at all of these wonderful fellow road warriors.  Hopefully  I will be able to purchase a decent video camera again soon so I can get pictures of this good stuff and good people.
Jacque and I have ridden Gutierrez Canyon Road  before a couple times, but always southbound and never all the way from end to end.
We have worried about the struggle going the other direction, North, but today as usual I discovered it was a more gradual climb and more enjoyable ride going north from Old 66 up to Frost.  What a transition: Riding along parallel to Old 66 there is a constant roar of nearby traffic both on 66 and the parallel I-40.  Within  100 feet or so after turning north on Gutierrez Canyon, the wonderful trees and rocks so effectively block all that "civilized" noise and it becomes downright relaxing and pleasant.  Almost no traffic as well;   it was great.  Much of that loop is down in a box canyon area so I was surprised the radio link for the GPS and tracker worked so well.
Nothing but smiles and good manners from fellow road users today, and it was still a balmy 58 or so degrees when I got back home.

Trip Started: 2:47 PM    Trip Ended:  4:54 PM
Starting Battery Voltage: 13.2    Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  56 F      Highest Temp:  66 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  14.13
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.4 MPH                                8.7 MPH                    30.0 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours 5 minutes                  1 hour 32 mins          33 mins 39 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment