Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fifteen Miles of Good Stuff

Tracking for Very Small Part of Today's Ride

I had intended to start riding earlier in the day today, but as usual, I got sidetracked by trying to do something else first.
I worked on a couple of electronics projects:
First, I tracked down what the trouble was with my APRS / GPS Radio Tracker on my recumbent 2-wheeler.  It was the antenna joint where the coax feedline is soldered to the matching point on the antenna.  Since this flexes and rocks and rolls in the wind, it is a frequent failure point.  It actually lasts several months between repairs so it's not bad, considering its effectiveness both as a radio antenna and attention-getting device with Jacque's colorful banners whipping in the wind.
Second, I repaired a radio/GPS/APRS tracker for Jacque's car which died a few days ago.  Another 20-minute job that turned into a frustrating half day worth of work.....
I finally saddled up just a few minutes after 4:00 PM.  Thankfully we're currently in Daylight Savings Time which means the sun goes down about 7:30 - 8:00 PM so I had time to get in a "decent ride" of a few miles.
I decided to do a mail run and then ride the loop I rode Sunday back the other direction.  This actually turned into a wise choice since the breezy wind was gusting the opposite direction today. 
I'm never crazy about riding on quasi-major roadways mixing it up with traffic, but Route 66 has been recently re-paved and has a marvelous new wide shoulder that gives cyclists plenty of smooth, wide shoulder to ride on, so far clear of the rocks, trash, and other junk usually cluttering up such areas:
Lovely, right?  Unlike many new paving jobs nowadays, the new asphalt goes clear to the edge, with no nasty ridges to slew autos and cyclists alike from side to side.
Considering this time slot is the everybody's-going-home-from-work time, the ride wasn't bad, even though parts of Sedillo Hill Road dead ahead have no shoulder at all.
I sorta mostly thought this route would put me well past the 20 mile mark.  I should have looked at the Sunday trip where it clocked in at only 13 miles.  I added a few more miles today because of the mail run side trip, but it was nothing to brag about.....

Trip Started:  4:07 PM    Trip Ended:  6:31 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.4        Ending Voltage: 13.0
Lowest Temp  62 F      Highest Temp:  70 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  16.39
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.1 MPH                                8.8 MPH                    32.3 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours  18 mins                    1 hour 51 mins          26 mins 42 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment