Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hauling Firewood on the Bike

Today's VeryShort Tracking

Today I was again left home alone with the dogs, since Jacque has signed up for poll watching or supervising or something during the ongoing election process.  She left fairly early and promised to be gone most of the day.
The dogs and I got a few odds and ends done today.
Yesterday I installed new LED tail lights on our little beat-up trash trailer/bike/trike hauler.  The old lenses and lamps were so dim I always feared someone would rear-end us after dark.  These new units are pricey but very bright, even quite visible in the daytime.
I got done with that installation right about sundown and left tools and materials outside, which was semi-forgiveable since there was no trace of wind, moisture, dust, or rain overnight.  Today I cleaned all that up and put the tools away.  Then I emptied Jacque's kitchen slop pail out in the compost pile.  The pile is a 3 foot high pile of horse poop that has been rotting for a couple years, and when we have kitchen slop and scraps I dig a hole in the middle of it and pour in the contents.  We should never have to buy potting soil again, if I can talk Jacque into trying this stuff instead.  Today I found a huge hole in the side of the pile where a fair-size critter of some kind (think COYOTE) had dug in for the smelly stuff inside.  I buried the newest contributions to the stinky stuff and added a couple inches of wood stove ash, since we have accumulated a bucketful of that in the past week from burning wood in the mornings to take the chill off the house.  When I mentioned the violation of the sacred poop pile to Jacque, she suggested  trying our largest varmint live-trap out there in hopes of capturing at least one of the intruders.  If it's a coyote, it will have to be one of the newer young pups since a full sized varmint would have trouble getting caught or even getting fully inside.  I baited it with a fresh slice of Spam and we'll see.  Nothing bothered it all day and the sun is currently setting.  We hear coyotes yipping close by most nights so it might even get some results.  If I do indeed trap one, it will NOT be a catch-and-release.  More details will be none-of-your-business.
Anyway.  I planned early this morning to saddle up for a bike ride and as usual with all my puttering around it was late afternoon when I finally got to it. 
The girls, as usual, were all enthusiasm for a ride.  When we rolled down to the pavement of Frost Road we found the wind to be unusually strong and cooler than we're used to. Blowing briskly from the West, it slowed us down enough to have to pedal furiously using most of my lower gears even on the few level areas of the road.
As we neared the Post Office, I noticed a piece of firewood lying on the right side of the road, and a few hundred feet farther, another piece was smack in the middle of the road.  I almost stopped to throw it out of the roadway but thought I'd just keep pedaling and throw it out of the road on the way back.  On the way back a couple MORE firewood pieces were spotted in the other lane of the road.  I picked them out of the roadway, carefully dodging oncoming traffic, but decided I had room on my front cargo rack to bungee them down and take them home with  me. 

Not really enough to be worth the trouble, but I couldn't resist a few extra BTU's for the stove.
Everybody we see comments on the carrying of TWO dogs on the bike with me.  What am I supposed to do, leave one of them home alone and heartbroken?
Quoth the Raven..... Nevermore.....

Ride Started: 3:52 PM    Ride Ended:  4:56 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.9       Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  67 F      Highest Temp:  75 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.59
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.0 MPH                               6.8 MPH                    29.2 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 7 mins                        49 mins                      18 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment