Friday, October 24, 2014

The Dogs are Worn Out.... and Me Too

Today's Partial Tracking due to Hills, Valleys, Etc.

Jacque disappeared to Albuquerque for a sewing class for her new multi-kilobuck machine, and had no idear how long she was going to be gone, so me and the doggie-girls went for another bike ride. 
Why they enjoy the idea of riding the bike is beyond me, since they are tethered into small enclosures:  Jazzy in the papoose-looking belly harness and Tink in the basket behind my seat.  But they get SO excited when I ask them "Who wants to go for a BIKE RIDE?"
You'd think I invited them to chase squirrels or something.   They jump around, all excited, and follow me closely out to the bike to make sure I don't escape without them, and eagerly leap up for the harnessing-in-place.
Riding Old 66 with I-40 in Close Background

We all decided to do a longer route today.  We rode out east on Frost Road to Mountain Valley, south to Crestview Lane, east to County Line Road (This small detour avoids a very steep hill on Mountain Valley farther south), south to Dinkle Road, then back west again to Mountain Valley with a short dog-leg over the I-40 overpass to Route 66, then west to Zuzax, crossing I-40 again over to the frontage road, and then north on Gutierrez Canyon Road back to Frost and then a short jog  back to the goat-path up to the house. 
It was beautiful weather today, what little winds we encountered were appreciated since it was warmer than expected, but the dogs and I MUST be outa shape, because by the time we started the last few miles up Gutierrez Canyon and almost home, we were SHOT.  Well, **I** was shot.  The girls get excessively tired from riding since, it seems, even though they are doing nothing but watching the scenery go by, they refuse to nod off and take their usual doggie-naps.  When at home or traveling in the RV they will sleep most of the day and waken every hour or so to romp around for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and then collapse again into deep slumber.  They sleep most of the day and then sleep all night.  Sometimes we wish WE could do that.
Anyway.  It didn't help that I forgot, again, to set my insulin pump basal rate downward BEFORE starting the ride.  I remembered a bit late, again, when I realized how bushed I was after only 15 miles or so.  But I kept track of the blood glucose and snarfed snacks so I wasn't in danger of going blotto and falling off or anything, which so far has never happened to me.  Thankfully.
We received several appreciative honks from passersby (seeing 2 lap-doggies on my bike softens most hearts) and no "negative incidents".  Even though there are several miles along this route with no shoulder and about 3 times vehicles had to slow down behind me and wait to pass or make their turnoff.  Nice folks.
Ride Started: 2:16 PM    Ride Ended:  5:40 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.8       Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  67 F      Highest Temp:  84 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  22.43
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.7 MPH                               8.5 MPH                    32.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
3 hours 22 mins                     2 hours 38 mins         44 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment