Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Balancing Biking and Busting Firewood

Today's oh-so-very-short Tracking

I haven't ridden the bike since Saturday, when I only rode it several hundred feet around the parking lot at Intel for the ham radio swapfest ongoing that day.
I've been getting serious about firewood, cutting about an eighth or more  of a cord per day.  I have the distinct suspicion we may have a cold and snowy winter this season, and of course we've already been burning wood in the living room stove for the last 2 weeks in the mornings and for about the last week also in the evenings.  It's not horribly cold yet but the house has been getting chilly enough to warrant wood fires - at least for an hour or two.  It won't be much longer before the stove is going almost full time.  My procrastination proclivity normally finds me cutting firewood, after dark, with headlamp, often with snow falling gently (or in gale-force winds). 
Every year I "decide" to get started on woodcutting early enough to build up a good stock of it BEFORE snow flies and begins to complicate the process.  Then I normally put it off so long it's cut-wood-for-a-few-more-days all winter.  BAH
I'm ahead of the game - so far - for once - and it's mostly due to the lack of snow thus far.  Usually we get our first snow around Halloween.  We've been experiencing hard frosts and freezing temps (it was 25 F this morning at 7:00 AM) but so far no snow. 
Anyways, my burning desire to cut firewood has been crowding out my available time for cycling. 
Cutting firewood is good exercise, mind you, or at least it's EXERCISE.  I get winded and tired, my back and arms and legs get tired, my blood glucose gets burned down to danger zone levels, indicating I'm burning carbs.  I don't think such body abuse constitutes AEROBIC exercise.  I still feel I should continue to shoot for at least a few miles a day on the bike.
Today I started to run out of daylight after a day of busting firewood, but I wanted to ride at least a short while - so I  used the old "Go Get the Mail" excuse.  Not a long ride, but a long several-percent climb of over a mile going TO the Post Office.  Coming back I get to coast for a mile or more, meaning little exercise, but climbing our mile of goat-path up the little valley to our house results in some good huffing and puffing.
Tonight wasn't even extra cold.  I wore only my violently green/yellow tee shirt on the way to the P.O. and put on my light windbreaker for the ride back.  Once back to the huff-n-puff of our mile of goat-path climb to the house, the windbreaker came off and was packed back in the pannier.

Ride Started: 4:32 PM    Ride Ended:  5:16 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.1       Ending Voltage: 13.0
Lowest Temp  53 F      Highest Temp:  60 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.51
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.9 MPH                               7.3 MPH                     26.4 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
56 minutes                             45 minutes                 11 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment