Monday, April 6, 2015

Burning Easter Calories

Today's Tracking via APRS (GPS + Ham Radio)

Saturday and Sunday were Easter activities plus LDS General Conference , so we weren't able to find time to do any cycling. We did have a few people visiting our Redneck Castle (2 acres and a Double-Wide) Easter Sunday evening and that was certainly enjoyable.  Family and a couple of close friends to help me eat too much of Jacque's cooking.... Priceless.
However, the toll on my blood glucose readings was a bit high.  My BG barely got below 300 all during the 10-mile ride.  I must not have pumped enough insulin to cover breakfast this morning, since the BG was 117 last night when I went to bed and 97 at 3 in the morning and 137 or so when I awoke this beautiful morning.
The weather guessers were warning of possible high winds today and the early morning sky was red and unfriendly looking, but there was almost NO WIND and I decided to try to get rolling early enough to get done before any wind DID materialize.
I had to make a short detour to a good neighbors' house when I saw him out in his yard and hailed him.
Once I got rolling again the riding conditions were fabulous.....

Cruising with NO Wind Noise

Jacque was still at home with both doggies so I did not have the extra warmth of Jazzy tucked up against my belly.  Leaving her and Tink home reduces the complications of bike riding but they add a lot to the riding experience.  I don't get nearly as many admiring honks and waves without one or both of them....
By the time I got to the halfway turn-around point the wind had begun to huff and puff.  Not terribly so, but it did rock me side to side occasionally and slowed me down considerably coming back, even on the normally lean-back-and coast downhill stretches.
On the way back up our goat-path road from the pavement of Frost Road to our house, I noticed something crossing the road ahead of me out of the corner of my vision.  The GoPro didn't catch their road crossing but did get a fleeting view of them as I approached the scrub trees they were hiding behind.


Normally such deer run away much faster when encountering them in a motorized vehicle.  This is the first time I've encountered them when on the bike and they seemed curious about my contraption as I approached their hiding place and only took off when I was about 20 feet away from them.  We see more coyotes out here than deer, although we know the deer have a hideaway not far from here, since we occasionally see up to 6 of them strolling through our back yard.
I need to get out of bed and off my butt and ride this early, or earlier, more often.......

Ride Started: 8:29 AM    Ride Ended:  10:31 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.9   Ending Voltage: 13.2  Lowest:  12.5
Lowest Temp  57 F      Highest Temp:  67 F 
Stats from the GPS:      Total Miles:  10.98
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.3 MPH                               7.5 MPH                  28.1 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours  3 mins                      1 hour 27 mins           36 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment