Thursday, April 2, 2015

Soloing on Tricycle Built for Two



The blessed wind was TERRIBLE today.  This, after it was terrible all night, repeatedly waking us up with the roof rattling and thumps and bumps from the wind gusts banging everything around on the deck outside.
If you want to ride a bike regularly in New Mexico you either must ride on windy days or you will not be riding regularly.  March was relatively calm this year but April has come in with nasty winds.
I wanted to ride but worried about getting blown back and forth on my two-wheeler recumbent.  So I decided to ride the tandem trike without my Sexy Stoker Jacque since she wasn't available.  The tandem trike is heavy but I've ridden it solo a couple of times before.  The tricycle configuration seemed to be a good idea to avoid sideswiping wind problems.  The biggest problem without Jacque in the stoker's seat is the lack of weight on the rear driving wheel and thus a lack of traction, usually only noticeable when pedaling over sandy or gravelly spots on the roadway, and even then, usually only uphill.
 I also had both Tinkerbell and Jazzy with me so they rode in their usual positions:  Tink in the rear basket over the rear wheel and Jazzy in the belly bag on me.
The wind was seemingly cold when I started so I started out with extra (light) layers to ward off the cold but almost instantly it got too warm, even with the wind, so the outer layers went into the basket with Tink.  It was warm enough the rest of the ride that I didn't regret it.
The howling wind was east-bound, right along with me, and gusted up and down in velocity all day.  At times I thought it was going to calm down totally and overheat us but it never happened, the wind continued to come and go..... mostly go go go.
Either the side-winds were not as bad as anticipated or the lower-slung trike did the trick so well I didn't notice any problems with swerving sideways.
This rig is noticeably heavier and slower than my 2-wheeler but we did OK.  I half expected to have to give up and turn around before I hit the halfway turnaround point, but with each hill topped, the motivation increased and I was able to keep going the old favorite 10-mile loop around Frost Road and Entranosa.
Coming back in the howling headwinds was less fun.... it is always a downer to have to pedal hard to maintain speed on downhill slopes that normally cause speeds to exceed the ability of my wrinkled legs to keep up.
Today's thrilling videos:

 Eastbound clip, wind at our backs


Westbound with wind in the face.....


Ride Started: 1:26 PM    Ride Ended:  3:52 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.4   Ending Voltage: 13.2  Lowest:  12.5
Lowest Temp  64 F      Highest Temp:  75 F 
Stats from the GPS:      Total Miles:  9.83
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  4.5 MPH                               6.0 MPH                  27.7 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours  12 mins                    1 hour 38 mins           34 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment