Friday, February 24, 2017

Too Stupid to Stay Home

I get frustrated when I don't ride almost daily, and the last couple weeks have seen spotty cycling performance on my part.
The recent weather has been no help, and today the forecast called for cold and wind.  The trees were rocking and rolling with "Breeze" this morning but I've often ridden in wind and cold.  The temperature was a bit bitter, but the sun was shining brightly, so I decided to make a go of it anyway.
Jacque had some birthday mail for me to take to the Post Office, so that was another motivation to get out and do something useful with the activity.
Plus I don't like how my belly hangs over my belt, but I love to eat.  The lot of human weakness and suffering..... BAH
It was cold enough that I dug out my winter riding gear:
-Fleece skull cap
-Velcro face mask
-Turtleneck long sleeve underlayer
-Shooting mittens, with finger flaps
-Extra windbreaker outer layer
I rolled away from the house and was a bit dismayed at how COLD the wind was.  Not only was the wind fairly strong, it was bitter cold.  I only went a few hundred feet before I stopped and put on ALL the listed layers.  After I got down to the pavement and rolling west toward the P.O., I wished repeatedly that I had stayed home and stayed warm.  But I was committed, or perhaps NEEDED to be committed, so I kept going, surmising that the bitter headwind would surely be a TAILwind on the return trip.
About halfway down the road, my GPS, radio, and other electronics bleeped OFF and after a cursory stop and checkout I decided my battery must have dropped too low in voltage so I just disconnected everything and kept riding.
While at the PO, several people commented on the favorable impression of the trike, and one was a veteran who just recently purchased a recumbent trike and wanted to know if any group rides ever occurred in the area.  I was happy to forward his info to our local recumbent riders club, which sponsors a group ride almost every month.
With the dead electronics, I have no data to display.  After I got home and troubleshot the system I found it was NOT a dead battery but a loose power wire, which I promptly soldered back into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment