Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Road Maintenance With a Trike

Today's Short and Tedious Tracking

We returned home from our Mega-RV Roundabout trip last Friday.  Every day since then I've quasi-planned to saddle up the trike and ride a few miles.  Between unloading junk, afternoon monsoon rain squalls, visits to the VA, and generally waiting until it's too late in the day, today was the first ride since the RV trip.
Of course, I couldn't just jump on the trike and ride.  All the boondocking and bouncing through the rocks I've put this Catrike through have finally resulted in some visible wear and tear on the tires, especially the front two.  The right tire was worn down to the fabric and the left tire was showing some visible fabric separation on the sidewalls.  The rear tire, though also worn smooth, seems solid enough for a few hundred more miles, so I left it alone.
I have a few spare tires in the storage shed so I was able to replace the nasty looking tires with solid new ones.
THEN I was able to hook up everything and take a ride.
As I bounced down the goat-path mile of dirt/rock/gravel road I again noticed all the new rocks large and small that had recently been graded up to the surface of the road.
Since I foolishly sold my tractor last year in order to buy new tires for the RV, I am no longer able to grade the road myself.  Two neighbors now have their own tractors, however, and while we were on vacation one of them graded the road, which of course stirred up some objectionable rocks.  It seems no one has time to pick them up and throw them into the bar ditch, thus I usually wind up doing it my dernself.  Riding the trike on this road not only increases my awareness of the rocks, but being so close to the ground makes it rather easy to lean over and hand-pick them out of the road and heave them out of the way.  There were so many today that I wound up spending most of my desired riding time creeping along and chucking rocks.
All for a good cause, of course.   I finally got down to the pavement of Frost Road and rode a few miles before turning around early so I could get back and get cleaned up in time for my latest appointment at the VA in Albuquerque.
During this short ride I was again aghast at how much strength I've lost by not riding for several weeks, other than a few miles for a very few days.  Wimpy though I was, it was still good to get going again.

Ride Started: 9:38 AM    Ride Ended:  11:04 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.9  Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.9 
Beginning Blood Glucose:  164   Ending BG Reading: 64 
Lowest Temp  67F      Highest Temp:  82F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  4.27 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
3.0 MPH                                    4.0 MPH                        27.6  MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 25 mins                       1 hour  4 mins              21 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment