Thursday, August 31, 2017

Huff Puff, What Happened to my Legs?

Today's Tiresome Tracking

The last 2 days I've spent several hours in the VA Hospital getting processed into the system as a new patient.  They've weighed, poked, prodded, and measured me.  My blood pressure and low pulse rate always elicit favorable comments, and a couple of my examiners claimed I "didn't look old enough to be 70".
I casually mentioned to them that, well, ya know, I'm a cyclist and do a lot of riding, which keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate and blood sugar lower. (Too bad it doesn't seem to do much to elevate my sagging "Good Cholesterol" levels)
This mild massaging of the fact I have been on the bike maybe 3 or 4 hours in the last 2 months....
Well, I enjoy cycling or I wouldn't mess with it, and to try to shore up my whoppers I've actually ridden the bike BOTH yesterday and today.  Yesterday was only a few miles and a lot of rock-picking but today I actually did my normal nominal 10-mile loop around the East Mountains, just to warm up so to speak.
Unfortunately, while pulling the trike out from under its parking spot under the deck, I found my brand newly installed right front tire was  flat, flat, FLAT.  I finally found a tiny pinhole in the tube, though I could not find whatever accomplished the puncture.  It may have been an unseen cactus spine.  At any rate, it didn't take long to put in a new tube.  I rarely patch tubes any more, though if the tire and tube prices keep multiplying, I'll eventually have to return to patching them instead of replacing them.
THEN I saddled up and got busy with the riding.
It just goes to show aging and loafing are not very copasetic methods of maintaining fitness.  It was a real struggle today on what normally is an easy ride.  I had to stop repeatedly to catch my breath and stand up to get the numbness out of my feet.  You woulda thought this was my first rodeo instead of just trying to renew a near-daily activity.  Of course it didn't help that the ride was during the early afternoon, likely the hottest part of today.
I ran low on water and ate up all my cookies since I forgot to lower my insulin pump's  basal level before starting the ride (My endocrinologist's instructions are to set basal to 25 or 30% of normal durning a ride).
The worst part, of course, was the last part climbing the steep last mile of rocky goat-path up to the house.
I think I've convinced myself that from now on I'm going to stick to pavement and skip the killer climb up this hill:  I'll trailer the trike down to the main road and ride from there..  Yeah, it's wimpy, but it will be much easier on my trike tires AND my weary bones.

Ride Started: 12:11 PM    Ride Ended:  2:46 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.6  Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.5 
Beginning Blood Glucose:  138   Ending BG Reading: 85 
Lowest Temp  75F      Highest Temp:  84F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.61 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
4.1 MPH                                    6.1 MPH                        29.1 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
2 hours 35 mins                       1 hour  14 mins          50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment