Sunday, July 29, 2018

Spring City. Front Fenders!

On Friday, I decided to take my life in my hands and ride north on 27 to Spring City.  It's only a few miles away but I've previously avoided riding that direction because the wonderfully wide road shoulder going the other way disappears just this side of Spring City.  On a recent drive into Spring City in the Ford Exploder, I noticed in spite of the lack of a wide shoulder, the roadway was still a nice wide divided 4-lane, with a wide median in between the 2 wide lanes on either side.  I also noticed the right lane of the roadway was wide enough to allow a car to pass me on the trike even if sharing the same lane.  Dangerous, but not impossible.
The power cable on my GPS/Radio pod had broken on one of the wires, so I had no radio to provide telemetry data for this ride.  After I got into Spring City, I realized the Garmin 350 had an internal battery, and maybe it would last long enough to record data for the rest of the ride.  So I turned it on for the return trip and indeed it did.
Spring City is a lovely little bitty town, with a surprisingly large Ace Hardware store along with several restaurants, stores of varying success, and a Piggly Wiggly, of all things.
Of course, as with towns large and small all across the country, there are too many boarded up buildings that used to house viable businesses.
After riding around the village exploring (there are at least 6 churches there and the total population is barely 2000), I rode back to the parked transfer vehicle, the Exploder.  My suspicions about the safety of the roadway proved correct:  Many vehicles passed me safely, including several semis and other trucks, and even a couple of logging trucks.  All of whom gave me a wide berth, turning into the other lane long before passing me.
Yesterday, Saturday, I received a set of front fenders for the Catrike I ordered a few days ago from an Ebay seller.  They needed to mount on the kingpins of the front axle, and my early version of this Catrike Road lacked the top bolts and caps necessary to attach them.  A trip to the Ace Hardware resulted in a purchase of 2 expansion plugs to use for mounting inserts in the tubular kingpins.
I had to do a lot of carving and cutting to get them reduced in size sufficiently to fit inside the kingpins, but I'm quite tickled with the final result.  They  even match the sole rear fender:  Shiny black.

Ride Started: 7:20 AM    Ride Ended:  8:19AM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  133     Ending BG: 198 
(No breakfast;  insulin pump basal rate cut back to 60% for the ride)
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.34 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
7.9 MPH                                 8.4 MPH                     13.0 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour  2 mins                        1 hour 
2 mins             2 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment