Saturday, February 20, 2021

February Sunshine ?

FRUSTRATION.
Our near - nationwide Polar Vortex has caused deep snow, ice, and lack of sunshine for 10 days or so in a row this last couple weeks.  As noted earlier, my diabetic blood glucose has suffered from the lack of enthusiastic exercise.  Yesterday I  decided to shovel snow to clear pathways for our dogs to go potty outside, us to get to the car more easily, and of course to make it easier for our faithful mailman to cross the yard and get to the house.
Surprisingly. the SUN came out the last 2 days and the snow is slow to recede since the outside temperature didn't get above 28 or so yesterday and it was well into the afternoon for it to crack 40 degrees today.
I decided to remodel our basement light situation and as I was gathering tools and stuff I realized I needed a couple of outlet boxes.  I thought I might actually pedal the trike the short distance to the nearest local lumber / hardware store, since the streets were mostly clear.  
I walked through the crusty snow out to the street and thought Why Not.
It was so relatively warm I didn't have to bundle up much, but as I tried to pedal my way across the hardened snow to the paved street, I lost traction almost immediately.  I almost gave up the project but kept rocking the trike back and forth until I was finally able to get out in the street pavement and take off.
It was a short trip and didn't take a lot of time, especially since the store evidently had recently re-stocked and had a nice, visible. easily found selection of what I needed.
On the way back home I shot a short GoPro video of the streets.
As shown, there's still substantial snow all around, and the pavement shoulders are not too available, but this was a less than a mile ride anyway.  Home safe and sound.
Great exercise in spite of the short ride.  Must have been due to the fighting in the snow.
Blood glucose dropped to 47 when I arrived so I "had" to take a snack break.

Ride Started: 2:25 PM           Ride Ended: 2:46 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.5   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.5
Lowest Temp: 32 F Highest Temp: 37 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  108   Ending BG: 47 (Whew)
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: .82
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 2.2 MPH                              4.8 MPH            15.2 MPH
Total Trip Time                    Moving Time      Stopped Time
  22  minutes                        10 minutes          12 minutes

Side Note:  A Sure Sign your RV has been parked too long:

                                          Icicles are proof we should have gone to Yuma for the winter

No comments:

Post a Comment