Friday, December 10, 2021

Good Folks

 Yesterday's GPS tracking

My buddy Jack-Jack came over to the house yesterday.  He came expecting a  Trike & Trailer ride, but it was pretty cool and unfavorable for such an endeavor.  His Momma was sewing with Jacque in that new fangled Sewing Room, so Jack was occupied for a while watching cartoons.
When the cartoon ended, the sun had come out, and it was quite a bit warmer in spite of a bit of gusty wind.  His Momma agreed it was an acceptable time for a trike ride, since she was still in the middle of a sewing project.
After dragging the trike and trailer outside, we bundled up and took off.  

 



After pedaling around fairly aimlessly, we decided to do a loop around the Town Square.  There is lots of construction and de-struction going on there, what with the tearing down 2 or 3 fire-damaged buildings ongoing. 
As I admired the worker and machine activity, Jack got bored.  He turned around looking for something interesting and immediately spotted the Mountain Grove Pharmacy and Soda Fountain.  He has been there before, and evidently had fond memories of the previous treat he'd encountered there.  Jack is a young man of few words, but he exclaimed loudly:  "ICE CREAM!  ICE CREAM !"  So we went.
My blood sugar was a bit too high so I drank a glass of ice water, slowly, as Jack struggled to gulp down the rather oversized bowl of ice cream he'd been served.  
There were several old duffers (maybe almost as old as ME) already at various tables, and several tried to make conversation with my overly cute buddy.  Being, again, of few words, and with a mouth full of ice cream, he didn't pay too much attention to them.
About halfway through his ice cream, one of the couples arose to leave.  I was surprised when the nice gray haired lady bent over to Jack's side of the table and asked me "Would it be Okay if I did something?"
I assumed she was going to flirt with Jack, but instead she pressed a handful of dollar bills in my hand and said "I want to pay for his Ice Cream".  I started to protest that we didn't "need" any help that way.
I also remembered a few times that "I" tried to be generous to someone and was rebuffed.
So I swallowed my pride and told her Thank You and Merry Christmas.
Folks around here seem to be more generous than some places we've experienced, even though this does not seem to be an overly prosperous area.  I was struck again at the generosity of so many of the people we meet.  There are certainly more Good People around than there are Bad ones.
Anyway, I sure wish I knew this lady's name so I could brag on her a little better.

Ride Started: 10:23 AM           Ride Ended:  11:35 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.7   Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9
Lowest Temp: 53 F Highest Temp: 64 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  185   Ending BG: 165
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  0.89
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
  5.5 MPH                              8.4 MPH            13.4  MPH
Total Trip(s) Time                Moving Time      Stopped Time
 9 minutes 41 secs                6  mins 21 secs    3  mins 21 seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment