Thursday, May 24, 2012

Miamisburg to Wright-Patterson Museum Track
I've been back a  couple days now from my quasi-annual pilgrimage to the world's largest ham radio convention: Dayton Hamvention
I rode with Bill Mader, K8TE, who I've ridden with on such trips for several years.  It was enjoyable meeting all sorts of ham radio nuts like ourselves, seeing everything from ancient electronic junk to the latest gee-whiz contraptions.  The best part, for me, was riding my recumbent around the area of Dayton Ohio.  The Bicycle Mobile Hams of America sponsors a group ride each year during Hamvention and I again participated in this ride on Saturday, May 20.  Seeing all the different ham radio setups mounted on bicycles was a real kick, and hearing the short-wave static and "Quack-Quack" of various HF stations talking back and forth while riding deep in the woods was great.

Here's a high power Icom 706 in a pannier with the owner holding the Lithium-Ion battery to run it:

Here's  Arnie KA0NCR with his little carry-on fold-a-bike:

Here's a Canadian ham visitor setting up his High-Frequency (HF) radio:


Here's a shot of a bike that has been ridden in 20 RAGBRAI Events:


Here's a gung-ho ham setting up his bike that he carries in the TRAILER of his GoldWing:

This is a nice trike just before its rider mounts up and rides away on the trail with us:

Another Canadian radio addict setting up his HF antenna before the  BMHA ride:

And ANOTHER Canadian HF radio nut setting up:

Then, on Monday, Bill wanted to visit the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.  This was about 20 miles from our motel and I poked around with Google Maps and decided I would ride the distance on my bike while Bill drove on ahead to get at least a half day visit to the museum (as usual with most museums, you could easily spend a week there and still probably not see it all).  I didn't have a decent mapping GPS (I'd left my Garmin 350 safely at home in the rush to pack and leave) nor a printer at the  motel with which to print out the Google map and instructions, so I just made a pen-and-paper list of all the intersections and streets and which way to turn, etc, and referred to it often as I rode the unfamiliar area.  The worst part was actually finding the FIRST street to get on to access the Great Miaimi River Trail which provide spectacular scenery as well as wonderful isolation from cars.
I wasted at least a full hour riding around in circles, unable to find the street named "Watertower Lane" that Google had listed as my "nearby" route starting point.  I finally went into a grocery store where one very nice lady told me how to get to it.  I followed her directions and within a few minutes was safely on my way, with street names that actually jived with my Google instructions.  From there I just rode on with very little further confusion until I arrived in the parking lot at the Air Force Museum.
Trail Pictures from the Miami River and Mad River Trails:
 Entry to the Miami River Trail:  Spectacular (for a dry-land NM guy)

 Here's a Family (Gaggle?) of Geese crossing the River Trail
 A lovely Tree-Shaded section of the Trail

Some kind of Locks along the Little(?) Miami River


 The ride off the River Trail onto the surface streets to the nearby Air Force Museum was anticlimactic.  Auto traffic was not overly thick and very tolerant of my presence, and the shoulders were mostly wide and rubble free.
I did not tour the inside of the Air Museum this time, though Bill and I did sit through the "Fighter Pilot" Imax movie.  I spent almost an hour outside, though, in the Air Memorial Park with hundreds of memorials, statues, and plaques honoring the airmen who have served defending the USA.

I  took this self portrait in front of one particularly stirring monument:

It literally gave me chills to see all these monuments, from WWI, WWII, Korea, VietNam, and subsequent conflicts.  The casualty rates for bomber crews in WWII were horrifying, far worse than the often-quoted life span of a Huey door-gunner in VietNam:  30 days, more or less.  There is a special spirit in this memorial park.

No comments:

Post a Comment