Thursday, May 3, 2012

Now I'm not Pedaling the RV, I can lay down some miles on the bike...

Limited Tracking Coverage in the East Mountains
I got a call from our local UPS drop-point (One Stop Office in Tijeras) that I had a parcel to pick up.
Since I've been looking for excuses and time to start doing longer rides again I decided to bike the 10 miles to the business and back again.
What a beautiful day for it.  The wind was gusting a bit but it only  served to help cool me off from the wonderfully warm weather.
On the last ride, I made the mistake of riding naked (no sun block anywhere) and at first when I got home I thought I'd gotten away with it, until I noticed my arms turning lobster-red.  A few layers of Aloe Vera Gel helped ease the pain.  So, today, I lathered on the sunblock, and stopped about halfway to  Tijeras to add some to the exposed "V" of my neck under my shirt.
What a wonderful feeling, cruising around under one's own power.  I first rode down N-14 to Tijeras,  occasionally having to pedal against the wind even going downhill, which is underwhelming in the enjoyment department.  After picking up the small package at One Stop, I decided to take the long way home and ride east on Old Route 66 again to Sedillo Hill and thence up and around and across the I-40 overpass at Sedillo Hill and back north to Frost Road and then west again back home.  I considered a really longer ride out to Edgewood or even  Moriarty but the wind discouraged me - it's always seemings very strong in your face when you're trying to get westbound and home.
When I got back to the point of turning off the pavement onto our bumpy mile of dirt road, I realized I had earlier ridden right by the Post Office and that now, hours later, Jacque probably had not yet picked up the mail either.  A quick cellphone call confirmed this, so I rode back to the PO and picked up the mail, adding about 5 more miles to the trip.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.8                         Ending Voltage: 12.5
Ride's Lowest Temperature: 66 degrees F -- Highest Temperature: 73 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:      27.22
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
06.5 MPH                               08.4 MPH                   33.4 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
 4 hours  12 mins                    3  hours 14 mins        58 mins 14 secs

1 comment:

  1. That a way to go Magellean, I have always wanted to ride one of those bikes but, I'm afraid it will make my back hurt more. Cudos to you Mr Jim.

    Cuz Etta Mae

    ReplyDelete