Friday, May 2, 2014

Another Short Ride on a BEAUTIFUL Day

Today's Pretty Good APRS and Ham Radio Tracking

Jacque took off for Edgewood this morning to comfort a recuperating dear friend who recently underwent surgery.  I'd hoped initially to do at least a short ride to get the blood warmed up and circulating starting by about 9:00 AM but of course it was a bit later before I got going.
Rode up the westbound killer hill to the Post Office and then rode east along Frost Road for a ways, feeling guilty all the way.....
Guilty because I left our young pooch Jazzy home alone.  The little one is undergoing her first heat cycle and is making little messes everywhere and has to wear a diaper:

Which makes it very uncomfortable for her to ride in the doggy belly harness.  Since I planned not to be gone more than an hour or so I left her home and she didn't complain, though she gets really lonely without human attention every few minutes and likely fussed while I was out enjoying the fresh air.
I again noticed the 2 prominent signs at our Post Office declaring:
"No Skateboards, Rollerblades, or Bicycles Allowed on Postal Property".  I suppose I'm violating several laws nowadays by riding my bike at my age, riding into the postal parking lot like I owned the place, picking up my mail, tossing my trash in the post office trash cans, etc, etc.  I'm sure they're just trying to scare kids away who might use the parking lot for EXERCISE such as biking and rollerblading.  How terrible.  I've posted pictures of these signs before and no officials ever called me to apologize.  I thought I'd post them again but forgot, of course, like I do many of the great ideas that pop into my small mind. I think the signs should proclaim that such activities have priority and petroleum-powered vehicles are obligated to look through their windshields and yield the right of way to such.  Which normally happens without any government instructional signage.
And, talk about Fresh Air.  The recent howling winds we've endured produced some Los Angeles-style brown haze even after the winds died down the last  couple of days, and we've even had air quality warnings to stay indoors.  Which of course we mostly ignore.  When we had the horrible ash and smoke pollution from nearby (and distant) forest fires a couple years ago, I just wore cheap painters masks and rode anyway, and never suffered any ill effects I know of. (Cough; Ahem.)
Today's weather guessers got it right for once:  A very warm and beautiful day.  The air was almost crystal clear.  I should have planned better and taken a longer ride, but I'm demonstrating ham radio at our East Mountain Self-Reliance Fair tomorrow and need to do some gathering of STUFF and organizing.
Trip Started:  10:10 AM    Trip Ended:  11:29 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.5        Ending Voltage: 13.0
Lowest Temp  57 F      Highest Temp:  71 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  8.14
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.0 MPH                                8.5 MPH                    25.0 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour  22 mins                     57 mins  46 secs         14 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment