Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cycling Las Vegas

Today's Nevada APRS/Ham Radio Tracking

We're camped in the Kings Row RV Park near the Las Vegas strip waiting for Donny & Marie to show up and entertain us tomorrow night.  Since it is difficult to use the 34 foot RV for a commuter car, we want to just leave it parked in this slot until we leave the morning after the show.  I had  been wondering if there were any nearby biking trails and wasn't having much luck, as the internet access is a tad slow here.  When I finally did dredge up a map of the area, I was mildly surprised to see tne Boulder Highway, just outside our RV camp, has super wide bike lanes for many miles of its length.  So while Jacque napped (she's trying to shake a chest cold) I unloaded the tandem Terratrike and took a test ride.  I wanted to find a nearby Walgreens or Walmart and get a few items.
These area bike lanes aren't bad at all, though they take some getting used to.  The typical bike lane is BETWEEN the main traffic and the super wide bus lane, so normally riders don't hug the curb at all.  Boulder Highway traffic is pretty thick and high speed so I worried a bit at first but I had less trouble than I normally do in Albuquerque.
When you approach intersections out here, all of a sudden the bike lane disappears from the middle of the road and reappears curbside, providing priority to the city buses for traversing the intersections.
I found a Walgreens within a couple miles but I realized I had no means of locking the trike so I had to dodge through the typical "Say Mister Can You Help Me" pretty girls accosting people in parking lots and dodge in and rush out to hopefully prevent someone from absconding with my expensive toy trike.   Another cyclist exiting the store pointed out a Walmart about another half mile down  the road but I decided to return to the RV and try catching a city bus so I can get another bike chain/lock combination.  While in Prescott I was saddened to find our  bright blinky tail light on the trike had been liberated by person(s) unknown.  So I'm now doubly cautious about trying to leave anything unlocked and alone for any length of time.
The weater is a bit warmer than Albuquerque, being Las Vegas and all, but not into the triple digit category yet.  Streets thus far encountered on the trike seem fairly level, with very minor occasional grades.  SO - a good place to ride. 
Later, Jacque and I rode the metro bus to Walmart.  It was so slow as we stopped and started every few hundred yards, and I wondered to myself if it might not have taken any more time to just ride the trike, which we would have done but for Jacque's cold.  Sure enough, a helmet-less cyclist passed us several times as the bus poked along.....

Trip Started:  2:58 PM    Trip Ended:  4:02 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2        Ending Voltage: 13.0 
Lowest Temp  77 F      Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.05
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.4 MPH                                8.0 MPH                    15.9 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
40 mins 59 secs                     37 mins  44 secs          3 mins 15 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment