Friday, May 23, 2014

Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

Today's Quite Short Tracking

Went for a short ride this morning, since as we all know, a short ride is better than no  ride.... Right?  Right?
It actually RAINED (You folks west of the Mississippi can look up the word) for a couple hours at least last night, leaving the mountains cool, moist, and smelling wonderful.  Our goat-path road wasn't muddy, however, so I saddled up and took off.
Today Tink rode with me, since yesterday when I left her and Jazzy home by themselves while I rode, she put a nice pile of poop right next to the dining room table for all guests to see and take delight in.
So, to train her it's not nice to poopie in the housie, I'm taking her for a bike ride today.  What's That, you say?  Who is training who?  What kind of a question is that ???
By the time we rode down the goat-path to the pavement of Frost Road, it was darkening in the overhead sky, but the dark clouds were far off to the east.  Giving me hope we could complete our ride and return home without getting soaked.  The temperatures were just cool enough to be great and the wind was not howling for once.
As we rode further east, the dark clouds were coming toward us and within short order they were overhead and threatening, yet no rain yet fell, so I determined to keep going.  My turnaround loop at Mountain Valley was less than a mile ahead so I figured pretty soon I would be headed back toward the direction of home anyway.
Well, you can guess the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.
Within several hundred more yards, the first drops splatted me in the face and inspired me to do a U-turn across the road and furiously pedal the other direction.
We only got slightly damp in spite of the rain increasing as we pushed the bike and lazy passenger-dog up the goat-path toward home the last mile.  In case you weren't aware, we live up a steep climb of gravel goat-path road that I can struggle up about two-thirds the distance without dismounting the bike.  There are 2 steep hills, however, that I would probably break a chain if I were strong enough to stay mounted and pedal all the way.  Which, of course, is not the case.
And, of course, the rest of the rest of the story:  It stopped raining shortly after we got home.  BAH

Trip Started:  10:04 AM    Trip Ended:  11:06 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2        Ending Voltage: 13.0 
Lowest Temp  57 F      Highest Temp:  64 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  7.83
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.7 MPH                                8.0 MPH                    28.8 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 10 mins                      58 mins 42 secs          12 mins 14 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment