Monday, July 7, 2014

The Dogs are Staying in the Shade...

Today's Partial Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

Well, SOME of the dogs I passed today stayed in the shade of their porches, deigning instead to bark from a distance rather than come out to the fence and bark at me in the hot sunlight.  Others did their usual thing, braving the warm weather to chase me along their respective fence lines.
Since Jacque was home busily sewing a new quilt pattern, I took no doggies of my own on today's ride since it is a bit warmish for me, too, riding along with a warm fuzzy snuggled up to my belly in the reverse-papoose sling.
It took me a bit longer to get out and get going this morning since I took the time to oil my mile-long chain.  It's not really a mile long;  it is only two-and-a-half regular chains long. About 146 joints to oil as I recall.  I didn't count them this morning.
Wow.  What a difference.  My gears have been shifting nicely since I changed out my cables and shifters and derailleur several weeks ago, but the smoothness of shifts and the relative silence of the lubricated chain is rather wonderful.  Guess I should do it more often.  When my bike starts to get noisy I tend to blame it on mis-alignment of the shifters and whatnot, but good old oil makes a big difference too.
I had gotten past my halfway point and going westward along Entranosa Road when another cyclist approached, going the other direction.  As we passed and said "Hello!" I realized he was Spencer, a young friend of ours who lives in the area.  We stopped, turned around, and chatted a bit, then decided to ride together until he got to his turnoff for home.  What a fun guy.
I would have loved to ride around a bit (or a lot) longer but my crippled RV is still decorating the yard, crying for attention.... So I came home.  Now to get greasy on my hands instead of my ankle.

Ride Started:  12:23 AM    Ride Ended:  1:43 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.1       Ending Voltage: 13.1(?)
Lowest Temp  82 F      Highest Temp:  91 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  12.21
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.1 MPH                                8.9 MPH                    29.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour  37 mins                     1 hour  18 mins          19 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment