Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Gotta Love Headwinds

Today's Spotty Tracking Route

Today's riding was much more pleasant and less stressful:
-The forecast was for cooler temperatures today
-I got started a lot earlier
-I wore my cooler breezier baby-barf-yellow biking shirt
-The wind was quite stiff today, helping out with the cooling
-I rode my 2-wheel recumbent which I'm more comfortable riding than the DF 2-wheeler DiamondBack I rode yesterday
-I took a puppy-dawg for a ride today, which adds to the pleasure :O)

I felt almost no pain in my pulled shoulder yesterday after the overheated ride.  SO I am even more convinced of the bike ride as therapy.  I was determined to ride today, even if for a short ride, and get going before the hottest part of the day set in.  I also was initially planning to leave the belly-pack-riding doggie behind, but had a strong prompting to take her along anyway.
She's a fun riding pardner, except when we pass yards containing barky dogs  and I have to argue with her about the desirability of yapping her brains out.
We stopped for a rest break at the corner of Mountain Valley and Entranosa Road and she again had to be restrained when a jodphur-and-helmet-wearing horsewoman pranced by on her very skittish horse.  The horse seemed to fear that the colorful bicycle flag flapping and popping in the breeze was going to attack it, and Jazzy - all 4 ferocious pounds of her - seemed to want to fulfill the horsie's fears and attack it and leave the hapless rider afoot.  Fortunately I was able to restrain my trembling attack puppy and the horse and rider were able to pass unmolested in peace.
At this same point the erstwhile high-velocity headwind turned into a mild tail-wind which gently helped us on our way home and still kept us cool.
The hot weather must be driving the snakes out, since we passed 2 on this ride.  One was about a foot long and very small and very dead.
The other, on the way back, was a fairly big guy with at least 6 feet in length and a nice diamond pattern on his skin.  He was probably a bull snake instead of a rattler and was only on the paved road shoulder and not yet flattened by any passing cars.  He was in no danger from me as I make it a point not to run over ANY objects in the road.  He was at least a couple miles from my home so it is still safe for humans to come visit us.

Ride Started:  9:43 AM    Ride Ended:  11:42 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.6       Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  78 F      Highest Temp:  82 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.51
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.7 MPH                                8.3 MPH                    31.3 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour  50 mins                      1 hour  16 mins         34 minutes  

No comments:

Post a Comment