Monday, December 15, 2014

Cool (BRRR!) Running

Today's Tracking via APRS and Ham Radio

It snowed over the weekend so I had a good excuse not to ride the bike Sunday, in  addition to the fact I rarely ride on Sunday anyway.
The snow today, Monday, is mostly gone:
Smiled This Time

But the breeze blowing across the slowly melting snow is, to put it mildly, rather cold.  I think it was the coldest day I've ridden in so far this year.  Thank goodness the roads were mostly dry.  To ride in even colder weather, coming soon, I will have to add another layer..... And wear my Polar Fleece skullcap under my helmet.  Today I only started to perspire while climbing the longest hill, just past Vallecitos Road turnoff, eastbound on Frost Road.  I peeled off the outer windbreaker to climb that hill and then put it back on when I topped out.  The wind had gotten stronger and colder and I did not peel anything off for the rest of the ride.
It was not only cold.  The winds got really nasty as I rounded the 4-mile loop at the other end of this particular favorite route, and when I stopped for a snack and water break at the Entranosa junction I had to lean against the bike while parked to keep it from blowing over.  I just spent almost 30 bucks on a new Mirrycycle rear view mirror to replace the latest one to  suffer a breakage from the bike blowing over.  The drinking water in the bottle was sooper cold, my snack cookies were cold and hard, and it was not that enjoyable of a break.
When I arrived back at the house I used up a ton of hot water standing in the shower cooking the chill out of my bones.  I've often ridden in much worse weather, but I gotta start riding while the sun is highest, not only for the better warmth from the sun but the better insolation (sunlight exposure on my front mount solar panel).

Ride Started: 2:48 PM    Ride Ended:  4:34 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.8   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest: 13.0
Lowest Temp  35 F      Highest Temp:  46 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.54
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.0 MPH                               8.0 MPH                     28.4 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
 1 hour 46 mins                     1 hour 19 mins           26 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment