Monday, December 8, 2014

Sunny Funny Runny

Today's Boring Tracking

I started to run out of daylight today, as usual, even though it was a beautiful sunny day all day.  What with the Government messing around with Daylight Time and Mountain Standard Time, I really miss the later afternoon sun we used to get before we were forced to switch back to Mountain Standard.  It gets dark now about 4:30 or so and a few minutes earlier every day, it seems, so it doesn't pay for me to put off bike riding until "later in the day".
I'm working on a hinged mount for a Solar Panel to hang on the back of my cargo basket in the rear but so far have just gathered up the panel itself and a couple of aluminum brackets with which to make the mounts.  I'd hoped to get that all mounted today and do a test run to see how the battery charged but I was running low on "emergency peanut butter chocolate chip cookies" and spent a couple hours in the middle of the day pounding out another 3 dozen of those guys.  They are "Emergency Cookies" since I use them, 3 per pack, in sandwich ziplok baggies, to carry with me on bike rides.  I occasionally use them for other emergencies (get hungry for a snack a few times a day!) as well.
So Jacque had a birthday card going out, which she forgot to take to the Post Office, so I used that for my excuse to "do something with the bike" and "go somewhere".  Much easier to thus be motivated instead of just "going for a ride", which also is a great excuse as well.
I 'planned' at first to continue the ride for a few extra miles but we have company at home, plus the daylight shortage thing, so I just went to the P.O. and back.  The muddy goat-path road to our house has dried up mostly now, so I was able to ride the bike all the way without benefit of burning any dead dinosaur fuel.  Which shows markedly in my much lower overall and moving average speeds.
Riding the bike uphill in grandma gear and walking it up the steepest 3/8 or so of hills really knocks a hole in the blazing speeds recorded by the GPS....

Ride Started: 2:57 PM    Ride Ended:  4:08 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.1       Ending Voltage: 13.0
Lowest Temp  53 F      Highest Temp:  54 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.68
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  3.6 MPH                               7.0 MPH                     25.8 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
 1 hour 34 mins                     48 minutes                 43 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment