Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cycling is SO Tiring for Passenger Doggies

Today's Been There, Done That Tracking

Yesterday - Wednesday - was a mess.  Good Old New Mexico  Weather.... it has been unseasonably balmy and warm and sunny (relatively, anyway) for a week or so and then  BOOM!  We awoke to gloomy skies and snowing like no tomorrow.  It snowed softly, then faintly, stopped several times, and POURED down with zero visibility - alternating all blessed day.  JUST before sunset, the snow abruptly stopped, the sun peeked out, and the snow almost disappeared before the sun went down.  The snow was cold, wet, and sloppy, making our almost-dried goat path dirt road a mucky mess again.

All this meant I had to trailer the bike down to the paved road again to go for a ride.... AFTER getting some morning stuff out of the way.
First thing this morning I had a quick checkup with our dentist to make sure my tooth-ache from last week had disappeared.  He'd prescribed antibiotic pills for me to cure a violent jaw-ache that he could find no physical cause for.  He suspected a minor sinus infection, which may well have proven true, since my jaw stopped hurting after the second day of taking the pills.  I noticed my engine temperature in the Ford Exploder was fluctuating hot and cold all the way there and back.  When I got home I checked the coolant level.... couldn't find any.  So I spent an hour adding a bit of coolant and running the engine trying to find if there was a leak or whatever.  I couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd continue driving it until it got worse or blew up.....
Jacque had gone to ABQ for work and shopping.... By the time I saddled everything up for a ride, it was so late I thought she might get home just in time to take charge of both doggies so I could do a slightly less-complicated trip.  Didn't happen, so the "girls" both rode with me.
Today's silly title comes from the fact that the doggies, though doing nothing except sticking their noses into the wind while riding, with an occasional whimper when they need to stop and poop/pee, are invariably TOTALLY bushed and exhausted when we get back to the car, and crawl into our laps and fall deeply asleep almost instantly.  We theorize this is because our dogs are run-around active for maybe 15 to 20 minutes at a time, and take deep naps of a half hour or more immediately after these short bursts of energy.  Riding on the bike or trike, they aren't running around... BUT they refuse to take naps, either, no matter how long the ride.  It's too exciting to watch for squirrels and dogs and cars.... etc.  We think they're just worn out from staying awake that long.
It was decades warmer than yesterday, but the breeze was a bit too cool.  The thrilling funniest non-home video shows changing into the windbreaker and zipping in with the belly-mounted Jazzy-dog. FUN
The dirt parking area next to the pavement was again fairly nasty.  I should have parked up at the Post Office for drier and more pleasant loading/unloading operations.

Ride Started: 3:48 PM    Ride Ended:  5:14 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.6   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest: 13.0
Lowest Temp  46 F      Highest Temp:  60 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  9.33
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.1 MPH                                9.2 MPH                    26.6 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 19 mins                        1 hour                       18  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment