Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Just Hot, No Dogs Today

Today's Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

I knew I should get started early today, what with recent temperatures bumping 100 in these parts.
However, household chores get in the way, and I had to tend to a few minor ones before setting out.
Jacque took Tink with her today in her car, leaving me with Silly Lilly.  She hates to be left behind, but she did not get excited and alarmed when I started primping with bug spray and sunblock and pee-green high visibility shirt, etc, as she normally does.  She just curled on the bed and acted like she was more in the mood for a nap.  Maybe she has more brains than I do and decided it wasn't worth going outside.
It was 61 degrees when we woke up here at 6800 feet elevation, and when the sun arose it immediately started climbing into the 80's without slowing down.  Saddling up the trike outdoors proved it was already uncomfortably warm, but what can you do?  Sit around and get even more out of shape?
And, once I actually got rolling, the breeze helped cool me off, sufficiently to make almost 6 miles to the Post Office and back.  I crave daily riding at least 10 miles or so, but I must change my lazy habits and get up early enough to get going before the sun gets too high off the morning horizon.  I already sleep no later than 6 AM , so if I got my butt in gear earlier instead of goofing around, I could get in an earlier ride without having to wake up any earlier.   Stay tuned.
I bumped into an old friend from Los Alamos while I was in Albuquerque last Friday.  I asked if he was still racing bicycles, as he used to be a serious contender in all the races and triathlons and marathons.
He said no, not since his atrial fibrillation episode.  He is now forbidden from racing or other intense activity.  What I thought was sad was that his doctor URGES him to get out and walk and ride bikes in more casual fashion, but he is depressed that he cannot race any more and thinks "just riding around" much too boring, so he doesn't.  I'm sure if he actually TRIED "just riding around" he would find at least some mild enjoyment in it, as you and I do.  He is obviously akin to all the scowling speed-racers we encounter on the road who pass us in silence, without a word of greeting because we are of a lower class of people-powered riders.
Which only goes to show that cyclists are just as goofy, weird, and clique-ish as so-called "Normal People" whoever that might possibly be.
Today was too hot but not formidably so, and the shortness of the trek kept me from overheating.  That and the frequent water breaks....
As I passed the Sandia Knolls entry along Frost Road, this Cushman-like scooter came rattling out of the intersection, and the loud blapping continued quite a ways down the road even though he was going the opposite direction behind me.  I used to think these were fun rides but now I look down my nose at such noisy contraptions.  Very funny  considering how my brother George and I used to take every opportunity to remove the exhaust pipe crossover on our Dad's Ford pickup and quickly replace it with an open length of exhaust pipe, and roar around Grants NM with wild abandon, thinking all the noise might impress some girls...


Ride Started: 10:42 AM    Ride Ended:  11:48 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.00   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.5
Beginning Blood Glucose:  152  Ending BG Reading: 68
Lowest Temp  75F      Highest Temp:  86F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.59
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.1 MPH                             6.2 MPH                   30.8  MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour  6 mins                       54 minutes               11  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment