Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Tons of Commuters Going to Work, Oh My

Today's marginal tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

Well, I skipped yesterday but got going a bit earlier this morning to make up for it.
I awoke a little after 5 AM this morning and instead of enjoying that last half hour of sleep I got up and went for a bike ride.
I had barely gotten up on the pavement of eastbound Frost Road when I encountered someone rooting and tooting at me....
Unfortunately, though I have looked at this clip repeatedly, I have no idea who this was.  I don't recall anyone I know driving a big white Ford pickup, but I certainly enjoyed the pleasant greeting.
Unlike the last few days, today had not a cloud in the sky and I was glad to have slathered up with sunblock before taking off. It was not overly cool even though the morning was quite young.
At this hour, however, the commuter traffic was quite a bit heavier than I usually experience.
Literally hundreds of commuters passed me at speed on their way to Sandia Lab and Kirtland Air Force
Base, the two major employers of this outer suburbia.
For one stretch around today's loop, there was no shoulder whatsoever, and after a bit of high speed downhill coasting, I could hear a vehicle rumbling slowly behind me.   I spotted a bit of shoulder ahead and pulled off to let him by, and behold:
He had a passel of cars stacked up behind HIM.  Unlike some cyclists, I don't like to block vehicular traffic unless I'm trapped where I cannot get out of the way.  The old do unto others thing, you know.
Even though the sun was out in all its glory, it didn't get overly hot, which of course I appreciate.
This route was east on Frost Road, south on Vallecitos / Sedillo Hill road, down under I-40, west on Old Route 66 to Zuzax, back OVER I-40 to Zamora road on the north of I-40, west about 1/2 mile thereon, and then north on Gutierrez Canyon Road back up to Frost and home.  13 miles with a bit more climbing, coasting, and variety.  I exceeded 35 MPH a bit today and wimped out and rode the brakes a while.  I'm getting old and for some reason want to continue to get older......

Ride Started: 6:15 AM    Ride Ended:  8:41 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.6   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  163   Ending BG Reading: 118
Lowest Temp  60F      Highest Temp:  71F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  13.78
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.6 MPH                                  6.6 MPH                        35.8  MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours  27 mins                     2 hours 4 mins            22  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment