Monday, October 9, 2017

Experimental Riding Around

Today's Maybe Improved Tracking

My radio tracking range has lots of holes in it, what with the low transmitter power (~5 watts) and low altitude antenna.  The top of my antennas is normally about 7 feet in the air, and when I go behind hills or down into low spots, the coverage is often very limited.
I decided to try adding about 30" in height to the antennas, but inserting a couple of pieces of aluminum tubing into the existing mounts, as seen here:
So today the antennas were both about 8 or 9 feet to the tippy tops.  That's not much of a height gain  but sometimes small changes help out.  Today's ride was a familiar route with taller antennas to see if any advantage was gained with the additional antenna height.

Normal Tracking with Lower Antenna Height

Today's Taller Tracking

A bit more coverage was seen today, but on some days the coverage shows up better even with the lower antennas.  The aluminum extensions were small, about 3/8", and the wind was stiff today (Balloon Launches were cancelled due to wind today), but nothing bent or broke.  If I was riding in town or along the Bosque I would have to contend with low hanging tree branches.
I actually had to stop and pull on my windbreaker today, as it actually got colder when I got to my halfway turnaround point and realized the breeze was COLD facing into the headwind.  I left it on the rest of the ride.
It won't be long before I have to start wearing more layers, with gloves and face mask, etc, to keep warm while riding.
I have to remind myself that even if my rides get boring they help keep my metabolism up and my blood glucose down.  So I need to ride whether I'm in the mood or not, or "whether I have time" or not.

Ride Started: 9:52 AM    Ride Ended:  11:07 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.8   Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  170   Ending BG Reading: 66 
Lowest Temp  57F      Highest Temp:  64F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  9.33 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
7.6 MPH                                 8.8 MPH                    28.1 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 13 mins                        1 hour 3 mins            9 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment