Friday, January 18, 2019

Deliverimg the Mail

Today's Track of the Locale

We're still acclimatizing to the damp air around here.  42 degrees here feels like 20 or less back in NM where the air is so dry.  The slightest breeze here provides a shocking chill factor for someone like me born and bred in the "Great Southwest".
Currently CA and AZ are being hammered with terrific wintry storms that are forecast to reach us sometime tonight or tomorrow, with temperatures dipping into the single digits.  This will be the coldest temps we've experienced since moving to this neck of the woods.  We'll be fine, so long as the electricity stays on, the furnace keeps working, and the sump pump in the basement keeps cycling the seepage out to the back yard.
As for today, the sun has not yet shown its face, but the temperature has been  hovering around the 40 degree mark, which enticed me to drag the Catrike out of the garage and take it for a short ride again.
Unpacking all our junk, we found a box full of letters from my Dad to his parents and family, as well as a packet of love letters between my Dad and Mom in the closing days of WW11 and mid-1945 during their lengthy courtship of 3 months.  I've been reading through them and contacting MY siblings and others related to some of the other letter - writers involved, to forward these writings to them for perusal.  I'd transcribe them to the internet links to such relatives but there are just too many of them to deal with.
The first few packets of letters are bundled up with postage, so I used them for an excuse to ride the quarter-mile or so to the Post Office.
There was a breeze blowing,  producing the aforementioned chill factor, so I dug out the insulated gloves and velcro ski mask.  I also wore an extra warm layer underneath my windbreaker jacket, which did NOT overheat me.
As usual, I got the gamut of strange looks as I pedaled toward my destination and beyond.  I even passed one of the rare things around here:  Another cyclist pulled over on the side of the road talking on his cell phone.  We both arrived at the Post Office within minutes of each other.
After dropping my packets in the slot, I decided to try, again, to get at least  a few miles under my belt since I was feeling so spry.
It didn't take long for my feet to start talking to me;  the main complaint being the cold.  I decided to cut the ride short and wuss out and return home earlier than desired.
The feets were tired and sore when I got back from this arduous 2-mile excursion but they seem to have calmed down quickly after coming inside out of the cold.
Maybe my legs and feet will heal up eventually after all.

Ride Started:  11:55 AM    Ride Ended:  12:30 PM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  183     Ending BG: 103
Lowest Temp  42 F     Highest Temp: 46 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  2.88
Distance Walked: .25 
mile
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
4.8 MPH                                   5.6 MPH                    17.65 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
35 
minutes                              30 minutes               5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment