Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Quarantine Walmart Run

Today's Wild Lawbreaking Route

Today is Monday, 6 April 2020.
Our benevolent Governor announced our entire state was to be stay-at-home quarantined as of this morning.
Life seems to have gone onward anyway.  Our neighbor across the street had a roofing crew show up which began climbing ladders, ripping off old shingles and lath boards, and applying new lumber and shingles.  Cars were driving by and neighbors continued to walk by - keeping their distance of course.
We were getting low on "emergency"  supplies so I determined I would make a trip on the trike, while Jacque would drive south of Cabool about 8 miles away to pick up fresh homemade cow's milk from the small dairy there.
Jacque has been busy during this crisis making face masks by the dozen and of course kept a couple for ourselves.  I wore this one when I walked around inside Walmart and looked quite similar to other shoppers.
Walmart had ribbons partitioning off a single entry and single exit, with attendants reminding all to maintain 6 feet of separation, with disinfectant wipes available everywhere.
We've heard stories of various aisles being closed to the public as "nonessential" purchases, but thankfully I didn't encounter any such nonsense this time.  There were reasonable amounts of most everything one could want in stock, even Toilet Paper.
So I walked out with 2 bags stuffed with stuff, and had to figure out how to get it secured to the trike for the trip home.  With the blessed help of bungee cords I was able to get it tied on the back and took off for the house.
I ALMOST made it without incident.
Just before crossing the railroad tracks I hit a couple of bumps stopping at the intersection and noticed one of my bags hanging precariously off to the side in my rear view mirror.  I rearranged it, took off again, hit another bump, and had to stop.  This time I took more care and all the junk made it home without loss.
I encountered many walkers, a few other cyclists, and of course many friendly motorists.  No shock troops trying to enforce the stay-at-home mandate.  We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Ride Started:   3:45 PM      Ride Ended:  5:02 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose: 231(!)     Ending BG: 88
Lowest Temp:  67 F    Highest Temp:    75 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.78
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.6 
MPH                             7.6 MPH               17.7 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 15 mins
                     46 minutes           29 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment