Saturday, November 14, 2020

Exercise is Good for Me ?

Friday Evening Ride Route 

I've been busy doing all sorts of strenuous activities.....

Like cutting trees down to make room for Jacque's upcoming Sewing Room Addition, like cutting those monsters into stove lengths for  splitting into firewood for the garage stove, splitting same with the big heavy wedge maul....
Raking leaves, building and burning piles of trash wood and leaves, yada yada...
Almost everything BUT cycling.  Now, much of this other activity is strenuous - but not really aerobic.  

 


I'm also getting into the age 70+ range of ailments and weaknesses.
One of these is prostate trouble.  The pills prescribed to me by the doctor (tamsulosin) are pretty awful for "side effects".  I seem to suffer more side effects than benefits from such pills.  I was researching prostate problems a couple days ago, and one of the things I read that was supposed to help was.... "Exercise".
Well, POO.  I seem to get a lot of exercise that aggravates my back and feet, but I realized I have fallen way behind in my goal of trike riding "at least a few miles a day".  So yesterday, Friday 13th,  I waited almost all day before I finally dragged the trike out of the garage and took off.
It was just a bit after 4:00 PM and I had theoretically an hour or so for daylight,
but the sun was already low on the horizon.
I rode up the hill past one of our Church friends lives, then out west on Clouse which turns into Wheeler Arch Road which eventually leads to the Mountain Grove International Airport, inhabited mostly by crop dusters.
I got within a quarter mile of the airport, where I had planned to turn around, and decided I would turn around early and get home without needing the help of my headlamp.
I wore my cold weather mittens along with an extra shirt and my reflective yellow light cycling jacket.  I did NOT get overheated.
Of course I didn't notice any immediate benefits from the ride other than the enjoyment.  But I DID sleep much better than I've done lately.
Then today, Saturday, it rained and poured all day and I wasn't brave enough to ride in the slop.  Hopefully I can get re-motivated and make almost - daily cycling a habit again.

Ride Started: 4:02 PM           Ride Ended: 4:46 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.5 Ending Battery Voltage: 12.9 Lowest Voltage: 12.9

Lowest Temp: 52 F Highest Temp: 59 F

Beginning Blood Glucose:  145   Ending BG: 103

Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 4.82

Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed

   6.1 MPH                          7.1 MPH            18.2 MPH
Total Trip Time                    Moving Time      Stopped Time
  48 minutes                       41 minutes          7 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment