Tuesday, June 15, 2021

On the Road Again....

 Monday's Meanderings via GPS / Ham Radio

I've been Up and Down and All Around recently, with age and diabetes and medicatons (?) complicating my life.  I've ridden my pedal -  Trike several times but only a few blocks around and across the tracks to pick up stuff at nearby stores.... Lumber and Hardware being the biggest recipients of my ill earned money.
Making steady progress on Jacque's sewing room addition, which IS tiring duty but not real good deep breathing exercise...
Having been TOO long without a more-than-15-minute ride, I was about to take the trike for another hardware purchase when Jacque mentioned she had 2 prescriptions to be picked up  at our local Big Box Store.  It was an unusually warm day but who cares??  I was way overdue for leg-stretching.
What with recent low-glucose episodes, I paid much closer attention to my blood sugar (BG).
Jacque fed me a good starchy snack right before I left.  I set my pump for a low temporary basal rate and rode off.  Remembering how fast my BG tends to drop when riding made me stop and  re-check my sugars only 3 blocks from home:  76, which is lower than my recommended range.... and only 10 or 15 minutes after eating a sizeable meal.  I suspended the pump entirely and kept riding.  I stopped at my farthest - north destination and checked BG again and was somewhat surprised to see it was still lower than recommendations from my endocrinologist.
I bought most of what I wanted and rode the several hundred feet  to the Big Box Store Pharmacy and picked up my sweetheart's meds.  BG checked low again, so I rodeall the way back home with the pump still suspended.  BG was STILL low. 
SO, I may have actually learned something.  For all my years with diabetes and insulin therapy, I've "gotten away" with many too-highs and even more too-lows without more than mild confusion as a result.  Evidently in my old age, I can no longer ignore highs or ESPECIALLY lows.  It's no fun waking up with EMT's fussing over me.  So now I have to pay better attention AND behave myself.  BAH

Ride Started:  1:53 PM           Ride Ended: 3:32 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.2   Ending Battery Voltage:  12.4
Lowest Temp:  82 F Highest Temp: 87 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  113   Ending BG: 76
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 5.90
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 3.8 MPH                              5.8 MPH            23.0 MPH
Total Trip Time                Moving Time      Stopped Time
 1 hour 33 minutes              1 hour                33 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Whatever you need to do, please take care of yourself!! Your recent episodes are very scary!

    ReplyDelete