Monday, March 20, 2023

Too Old for Cold

Frigid Fearless GPS Tracking 

I guess if it wasn't for our much maligned Big Box Store on the north end of town, I would get much less valuable exercise.  Picking up prescriptions and odd bits and pieces of this and that give me the most motivation for getting out and pedaling around on the recumbent Catrike.
The last few days have bobbled around with rain, bits of snow, wind - of course - and COLD.
Today we got another notification that we had a prescription a-waiting.  It showed a temperature of 27 degrees F this morning when we first got up, and warmed merrily up to maybe 33 degrees for most of the rest of the day.
I thought maybe I could wait for warmer afternoon temps to go for an errand - ride,
so I scooted dressers and stuff back from our bedroom wall and cleaned the area around what used to be the back window before we added Jacque's new sewing room.
That's only been a couple years or so since then, with the ex-window hole plugged with a square of new sheetrock, which for some reason doesn't match the rest of the wall - or room.
Such chores used to take maybe a few hours or even a day or so, but since I'm so old and "geet-up"  and slow now, I don't even THINK about tackling large or semi large projects.  I try to divide them up into what I hope I can get done in a few hours and then plan for next steps "Manana".
I mixed up some spackling compound and slopped it over the ragged looking joints, almost exhausting myself with what should be a short chore.  Snort.
I had to go back for more spackling powder, add water, and mix it up carefully to some sort of desired thickness, and actually ran out of the stuff just as I finished spreading it around.  I'd hoped to make more than "enough" mud and have sufficient to do it all and throw the excess away.   It looks like the stuff is going to work, and all I have to do now is wait for it to totally dry and harden and hopefully stay put in a few days when I start slapping paint on that wall.
Then - I still hoped to make the trike run across town to pick up stuff.
The temperature was still nasty, and the wind awful, but hey - I'm "tuff" (note the lower case assertion) and have ridden in worser weather sometime way back when, So I dragged out the trike and layered up and took off.
Again, unfortunately, it was nasty cold with brisk gusty winds making it even colder.  I "layered up" with a chest sweater, insulated coveralls over that, thick "arctic" wool socks inside leather work boots, a woolen skull cap, and mitten/gloves to keep the pinkies safe.
I did NOT get overheated.  The footsies even got a bit chilled as I pedaled, and I wasn't as fast as I usually go (Although 'fast' is not an appropriate term for my speeds).
While at the Big Box Store - I  checked my blood glucose before starting home.
It was dropping lower than wanted so I ate one of my backup cookies sitting on the trike next to the store's bike rack.  A new employee walked past, and stopped to ask about the trike.  What it cost, how to find one, etc.  I told him how I found mine on Ebay and that I had bought it for $700 used.
He allowed that he was interested in getting one, yada yada.  I hope he does.  I have yet to encounter another recumbent triker in this area, even though I have seen one or two of the so-called "Granny trikes" out and around.  (tall, sit upright, one steering wheel in front, two in the back supporting a basket for shopping)
Made it home safe and  sound, cutting a half mile or so off the normal return route.  Wanting to get out of the cold....
Hopefully these wonderful bright sunny days will warm up a bit soon.
Then I'll start complaining about the heat.
Of Course.

Ride Started: 2:24 PM           Ride Ended:  3:32 PM 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.2  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.5
Lowest Temp: 32 F Highest Temp: 50 F !!
Beginning Blood Glucose:  190   Ending BG: 120
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  5.30
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 4.6 MPH                             6.1 MPH            19.1 MPH
Total Trip(s) Time             Moving Time      Stopped Time
  1 hour 9 minutes                52 minutes       18 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment