Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ate My First Bug of the Season, Also My First 50-Miler

Well, actually, I didn't REALLY eat a bug today.  One conveniently flew into my mouth, making it quite convenient to just swallow it down and improve the variety of my diet, but I spit it out.  Reminds me of the clouds of the flying critters that like to hover around the bike trails, especially those next to drainage ditches.
I didn't include a link to my tracker today since it didn't work.  I rode all this wonderful distance and found, when the ride ended, the J Pole antenna connected to the tracker radio has a broken connection at the feed point.  A simple thing to repair, so long as nI'm close to AC power and a soldering iron.  BAH
Sarah, my first daughter, had a not-counting birthday 4 days ago that I forgot to do my daddy duty with.  Forgot to even call her until the day after.  Some faithful Dad, huh.  Anyway, I came up with a card for her and had planned to make a special delivery trip Sunday but our retirement schedule is proving harder to deal with than when we were both employed full time.  I got the wild idea to ride my bike all the way to her workplace yesterday but frittered too much day away until I didn't have time to make the ride.
Today I decided to not fritter away so much time and make the run.  It would have been around 56 miles but I was up for it, and the weather has been almost perfect the last couple of days.
What a beautiful day this turned into.  Balmy enough to ride without a coat or heavy gloves:  How Wonderful.
I didn't get off until around noonish so it was after 2 PM when I finally arrived at her work and handed the card to her, traded a few great hugs, chatted a bit, and she went back to work whilst I returned the way I came.
I BURNED carbs today.  My blood sugar had been too high all morning but once I took off on the bike all I did was eat, snack, and drink water.  Two 700 mL water bottles turn out to be NOT ENOUGH for a 50 mile ride.  Even stopped at Lota Burger and pigged out on a chicken burger and an order of onion rings and I still ran out of gas about a half hour later.  Breakfast bars and M&M's, the old emergency snacks.

Stats from the GPS:                   Total Miles: 50.2
Overall average speed            Moving Avg            Max Speed
07.2Mph                               09.1 mph                 26.8 mph
Total Trip time                       Moving Time           Stopped Time
6 hours 59 mins                      5 hours 30mins         1 hour 28 mins



No comments:

Post a Comment