Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Just a Short Ride to Pick up the Mail

Mil-Run Track via GPS/APRS
I awoke with a plan to ride at least 40 miles yesterday but the fact we were, again, low on firewood, got to my conscience and I only rode up Frost Road to the Post Office and back.  I was surprised to find the mileage to be over 5 miles round trip.  I encountered a bit of headwind coming back toward the house so I was thinking it a good idea to return home quickly and cut firewood.  Of course the rest of the day was balmy and beautiful.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7 Ending Voltage: 12.7
Ride's Lowest Temperature: 59 degrees F   --  Highest Temperature: 66 F
Stats from the GPS:                                          Total Miles: 05.58
Overall average speed        Moving Avg             Max Speed
05.0 Mph                           07.3 mph                   25.1 mph
Total Trip time                    Moving Time          Stopped Time
1 hours 07 mins                  46 mins 2 secs         20 mins 58 secs

 Again, today (Tuesday), I packed and planned for a decently long ride but was thwarted instead by gusting wind.  High winds are forecast for the east central parts of NM but some of it is leaking through up here.
So I did the 5+ mile "mail run" again.  I've been home for maybe 20 minutes now and the roof is starting to rattle from the wind so I'm happy I didn't try to tough it out for a longer ride.  I would have at least ridden down to Tijeras and back but I did not get a call telling me my spare bicycle tube is ready to be picked up yet.
We have a neighbor between our house and the paved road - I won't reveal HIS name but his hosses are Abigail and Ricochet (Rick for short).  Every time I ride past the house the horses take note of me.  The first few times they saw me coming they would get alarmed.  Now why the cat-hair would a long bicycle festooned with radio antennas and flags waving in the wind alarm anyone? - But I digress.  Mostly now they just turn around and watch me closely, following me with their eyes until I'm well past their place.... and then Abigail starts to whinny and cry and complain.  The first few times she did this I thought she was quarreling with Rick, but today and yesterday Rick was gone.  The owner owns no car and rides the horses to and fro, kinda like me and my bicycle... preferred mode of transportation and all.  Abigail still whinnies and cries and complains AFTER I pass her house.  I'm convinced now she's griping because (1) she's stuck at home and (2) I didn't bring her any treats.  We used to stop and give them an apple or a carrot - Jacque was a big offender in this regard.  A couple months ago the owner got really upset with us for "dropping off" some lettuce and carrots for them without asking first so now we no longer bring them treats.... and Abby doesn't seem to appreciate it at all.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7                        Ending Voltage: 12.6
Ride's Lowest Temperature: 55 degrees F   --  Highest Temperature: 66 F
Stats from the GPS:                                          Total Miles: 06.47
Overall average speed        Moving Avg             Max Speed
05.0 Mph                           07.3 mph                   25.1 mph
Total Trip time                    Moving Time          Stopped Time
1 hours 27 mins                  1 hour 07 mins         15 mins 8 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment