Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Got New Trike Chain Installed

Little Short Trip Tracking Today via APRS
I thought I had it all calculated out.  New chains come with 112 links, and I needed 149 for the front chain and 136 for the rear, or theoretically 285 links total needed for both chains.  I was shocked, SHOCKED, after paying 90+ bucks for 3 new high class chains and finding, after opening the containers when we got home, that the chain maker counts links differently than I do...
I counted my links as the "twofer" of one outer link and one inner link being one link.  The manufacturer counts EACH link, innie and outie, as a separate link, and thus I found I would need THREE MORE new chains to have enough to build 2 long chains for this tandem recumbent.  At these prices, suffice it to say the NEXT 3 chains will be WalMart specials at $9.95 each, or a third of the price of the high class chain.  The high price high class chain went on the rear, where it takes the brunt of both  captain and stoker, whereas the front chain only takes the strain from the captain.
It took me all morning and then some, but I got my new chains put together into one long 'un for the rear of the trike.  I was surprised when I got it all threaded back together (several idlers and stays and the Derailleur to figure out).  The new chain, though having the same number of links as the old chain, was TIGHT, so much so that it would not shift to the larger chain ring without binding.  So I had to add another 2 links, and we find it is STILL too tight to shift to the larger chainrings at the same time, so will require still yet another pair of links to allow sufficient chain for accessing all our 27 gears.
We decided it needed a test run so we did the usual post-office-Shell-Station run.  Even though the new chain is still too tight to use the largest chain-ring, what a difference it made.  It now runs quietly, shifts smoother, and is just downright more pleasant to ride with.  Can't wait to replace the front chain too...
Though we left the house after 3:00 PM, the temperature was only in the upper 70's and the sky got a bit cloudy so it was very pleasant.
While we rested at the Shell Station watering hole, I ate a huge burrito and Jacque had her usual lemonade and Tinkerbell attracted her usual collection of admirers.
On the way back home, this time we did not break a chain, and we climbed the entire set of goat-path hills all the way home, the first time for either of us.  It must be really true that two are better than one.....
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  6.27
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
3.9 MPH                                  6.5 MPH                    22.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 36 mins                      58 mins 10 secs         37 minutes 50 seconds

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    quick home sales omaha

    ReplyDelete