Monday, June 30, 2014

Maybe Too Hot Today

Today's One-Way Trip Tracking
One of my wonderful neighbors who lives maybe 3 miles away wanted to borrow our Ford tractor to do some mowing on his weedy yard-lot.  I decided to bungee one of my bikes on it so I could drive the tractor over there and ride the bike back home.
There were 2 factors involved in this that made the day's project more complicated than I'd planned:  I took my 20+ year old Diamond Back mountain bike which of course is an upright DF (Diamond Frame) bike and (2) it was smokin' HOT when I finally took off on the tractor and even hotter when I dropped the tractor off and rode home on the bike.
Every time I stopped for a break, which was several times for only 3-something miles, I felt like I was dizzy and actually feared I might pass out several times, especially when I stopped.  I drank lots of water and finally ate a small snack but the water was hot and did little to cool me off and it was a real struggle to get up the last hill to the house.
I also faced a monster headwind going home which slowed me down and was so warm it did little to cool things off as well.
The temperature when I arrived home huffing and puffing and overheated?   98 degrees on the outside thermometers.  I stood in the medium cool shower for a long time.  I felt like a dried prune.  No comments from the peanut gallery, PLEASE.

Ride Started:  1:09 PM    Ride Ended:  1:59 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.8       Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  88 F      Highest Temp:  98 F
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  3.97
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  4.2 MPH                                7.4 MPH                    24.9 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
56 mins  46 secs                     32 mins                      27 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Just be glad it's not 10-15 degrees hotter. Here in Logandale, NV you have to wait for the sun to go down to cool off to the low 90s.

    ReplyDelete