Monday, August 4, 2014

Murky Monday Misfit

Today's Half-Pathed Tracking


Our Monsoon Season this year seems to be much wetter than usual.  It has rained almost every day or night for the last 2 weeks and as mentioned before, the weeds are almost treetop high.
We awoke today, Monday morning, to a heavy drizzle that reverberated on our metal roof for most of the morning.  It looked like there was no way for anyone to get out on a bike without getting a good soaking.  THEN ~ about 10 AM ~ it suddenly cleared off and everything was sunny and blue sky outside.  I was just about to saddle up and ride away on the bike when the phone rang and it was someone wanting to come look at some ham radio gear I have for sale.  Could he show up a little after 11?  Sure, I says.  So I postponed any riding until he showed up and left..... and I quickly hopped on the bike and went bouncing down our goat-path gravel, rock, and rut road when it suddenly got VERY dark and threatening with big black hammerhead clouds overhead.  I rode another hundred yards or so, trying to work up my courage, but decided it was just going to soak me, so I turned around and rode back to the house, for maybe my shortest ride ever at .987 miles.  Just about the time I got everything dismounted and put away, I noticed it was sunny and beautiful again.  I looked at KOB's Weather Channel and it showed very light and spotty clouds in the area, but the stuff was moving fast and changing rapidly.  I almost tried again a couple times, but each time I walked outside it looked threatening again.  Finally about noonish I decided to chance it and take the dern bike ride, and it worked out OK even though the clouds continued to blow in, look threatening, and fade away again as the sun intermittently peeked through.  Several times I thought I was going to get soaked, but it never happened, and the clouds just made for a cooler  non-sun-baking ride.
I took a slightly longer detour around the I-40 / Route 66 area between Edgewood and Tijeras today, hoping to find a 20-something mile loop.  It was a bit longer than the other shorter loop I've been riding but still came out to only about 17 miles, which was close enough since the storm clouds were looming again directly ahead of me....
I felt a few faint sprinkles on my arms as I got closer to home but no real rain until about an hour after safe arrival.

Ride Started:  12:12 PM    Ride Ended:  4:12 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.7       Ending Voltage: 13.1
Lowest Temp  75 F      Highest Temp:  87 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  17.22
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.2 MPH                               8.7 MPH                    31.2 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours 23 mins                     1 hour 58 mins           24 minutes 


2 comments:

  1. You have just got to be in the best of shape. Wow cudos to you and Jacqualine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to most cyclists we are in pretty slack shape. BUT we are in much better shape than we would be without cycling...:O)

      Delete